Older baby flat out refusing boob?

dan-o

RMC's but mum to 3 now!
Reaction score
Been battling with Vincent over milk for a little while now, he's dropped down to first thing in the morning and last thing at night only, and refuses all other offered feeds. But he's now refusing the morning and evening feeds as well, it's so frustrating as I wanted to try to feed him for longer than my first. (10 months)
He refuses milk from a cup too, so I have no idea what to do if he won't drink milk at all!?
Surely a 9-10 month old won't be self weaning will he? Seems too early :(

I'll be interested in an answer for this...my little 9 month old is doing exactly the same!

It's pretty much unheard of for a baby under a year (actually, under 2 years old) to truly self-wean, but it is common for mums to believe their baby self-weaned at that age... which is a bit odd! Have a look at this - https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/babyselfwean/ and also this - https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ There's some good info there.

This is what I thought.

Its kind of 50/50 though, as my baby has always been very forward with eating sold food (his choice, he's is baby led) and eats 3 meals with desserts and two snacks, all self fed as he won't tolerate me feeding him in any way. When I offer boob he will struggle, banana himself and turn away over and over, then cry and usually end up biting (4 teeth!) at which point I usually give up until the next try.
He also has no desire to comfort suck, and hasn't for quite some time now, if there's no milk coming, he doesn't want to know!

But.. low supply/slower letdown is obviously a factor in my case due to pregnancy and less frequent successful nursing sessions.
Also I've made a rod for my own back by offering a drink of water in a cup with meals. But I felt it was safer as he was so voracious with eating solids at first, he would often get things stuck in his throat! I can't really stop this now as he's come to expect his cup of water.

I guess we will just struggle on with the twice a day semi-successful nursing and keep doing battle to regain some daytime feeds.....

I found that after my miscarriage in the summer my milk supply increased again, almost immediately. And then DS started nursing more frequently again. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Thanks Celesse, that gives me some light at the end of the tunnel!

Looking at your signature - it looks like you're in a hormonal turmoil? Maybe your LO id getting less milk per nursing and can't be bothered to make the effort just now? Keep offering, it is frustrating but hopefully your supply will increase (up fluids, drop caffeine, increase oats intake) and your baby will take an interest again soon.

I don't think babies self-wean at that age but they may find things that are more interesting, especially if it doesn't come as quickly as they're used to & then mums let their supply slip and eventually disappear believing they've weaned. I've a friend who claims her LO self-weaned at 4 months old. Never heard such rubbish. Gained a bottle preference perhaps and didn't want to pump or over supplemented with formula but a 4 month old does not self wean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->