Oliver's arrival...(long..more like pregnancy story))

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this section as I am usually in baby club and premature babies and didn't know this was here, thus my late posting.

My pregnancy was a nightmare from start to finish, I had morning sickness right the way through..every single morning, I was also at the doctors/midwife/hospital nearly every other week for high blood pressure (though not pre-eclampsia)

I am a natural panicker and I think I had a chemical pregnancy the month before I got pregnant with Oliver and because I think I'm tainted with bad luck I thought something was bound to go wrong, well I was delighted when everything seemed fine at the 12 week scan and there was definitely a baby in there and he was in the right place and everything.

Then at my 20 week scan they found a large cyst on my ovary and i'd have to go back for more scans, also had it tested for the big nasty in the meantime.

Went back at 28 weeks and they said it was just a simple cyst but it needed to come out, oh and baby was breech as well so had the choice to take it out now and risk early labour or leave it til 36 weeks and they would take it out with the baby via C Section, opted for this to allow by bubs further time to cook.

Went for my midwife appointment at 32+2 and blood pressure was really high so she wanted to do a home visit the next day as by then everyone had come to the conclusion that having my blood pressure checked actually raises it.

Anyway next day I started leaking slightly and had mild backache all night, I was concerned and I think I knew then something was wrong. The midwife arrived and checked my blood pressure (lying on my couch with the dog licking my feet:haha:), still high so she says she's sending me the hospital anyway, she rings up and books me in and then when I ask her about the discharge she said pregnancy discharge is totally normal. As she gets up to go, my OH sees her out and I stand up and follow them into the hall, well I stop in my tracks..I felt the water completely soak my bottoms, I'm standing one legged trying to keep it in, and I shout to my OH at the front door and he takes one look and shouts the midwife back in. She comes back in and says "yep, your waters have gone". I am hysterically shaking and crying saying over and over "it's too early". The midwife then rings the hospital and tells them I was being sent in for blood pressure checks and I need to go to delivery.

I'm still hysterical at this point and add to the fact that i had no hospital bag ready whatsoever, no nighties or anything (adopted some of oh's t-shirts whilst I was pregnant) we make our way to the hospital. Well we get to the hospital who put me on the labour ward, by this time I'm still having the backache and they hook me up to the monitor and say no contractions, your not in labour yet.
They then give me the steroid injections which hurt afterwards like hell! I'm pretty much wandering from my bed to the cafe, to outside (it was boiling!) for the rest of the day. My OH then leaves at 9pm, I keep getting monitored but still no contractions, all the while this backache getting stronger.

Anyway this lasted for 2 days and I think I was in denial because I kept telling everyone "I think it's just a water infection" even though the doctors wouldn't let me go.

By the Friday the Special Care nurse came to see me and i think thats when it clicked and I stopped being in denial and I knew my baby was on his way because I started to feel the back pains really bad and kept telling the nurses but they could not see any activity on the monitor. I was devastated when my OH went home at about 10pm, by now the pains were shooting like waves up my bum and back, I couldn't sit, I couldn't stand, they were like every 3 minutes but because the nurses said I couldn't be in labour as it was not showing on the monitor I didn't want to make a fuss. I kept hopping of the bed because I couldn't sit still, then I'd have to sit back down, I was so tired.. at one point I was nodding off for literally about a minute at a time, sat with my nightie hitched and my bum and legs on the cold floor (for some reason this helped) In the end I phoned my OH crying and said I couldn't take it no more. When I'd finished on the phone to him I pressed the buzzer and this one nurse came in (all the others were lovely but this one I didn't like) I told her I couldn't take it anymore and she hooked me up, sure enough the spikes were going crazy on the chart..she actually said to me "why didn't you say something"..I'd been telling her all night the pains were getting worse! I'd been in slow back labour since my waters had broken.

The doctor was then whisked in and checked me, I was 4 or 5cm dilated. I had those white socks pulled on, was put in a wheelchair and my OH was called before I knew it. I was given a spinal and my OH arrived and they started on me, before I knew it I heard the crying and was so happy, they then dangled this purple wriggling thing in front of me and I know it sounds silly but he looked at me so intensely, it was weird but amazing. They whisked him off to SCBU straightaway so I never got to hold him straightaway. They were still working on me for about 20 minutes and i later found out it was because they had found another cyst whilst removing the original one and this one actually burst inside me so they were "mopping" me up and the higher surgeon had to be called to fix it. I was then put in recovery and made a conscious effort to wiggle my legs so I could go and see my son quicker. when I saw him that afternoon he was the most gorgeous thing I ever saw.

Anyway Oliver David was born at 7:05am on 2nd July 2011 weighing 4lbs 13ozs. He spent 16 days in SCBU but is now doing great.

Sorry for the huge post, I wanted to get it all down while it was still kinda fresh and a lot happened!

Congratulations! He's such a cutie. :) I'm glad to hear he's doing well. What a rough start for both of you. :hugs:

Wow, that must of been so scary your waters breaking early! glad to hear your both doing well, huge congrats xxx

Happy you and baby are doing well, he is so cute! Congratulations!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->