Olivia is it still that common? and is too common that bad.

Babybug

Reaction score
When we told DD on Friday we are having a girl I suggested she could name it (dont ask me why). She suggested Olivia which DH loves I like it but Im worried its too common (UK) I dont know any other Olivias apart from my friends 8 year old but it is definately top 3 depending which site u look at.

Is at that common?
is common bad?
Is It 'chavvy' common?

I am in US so not sure about UK, but Olivia is still very popular here. I don't think that's bad. If you love the name, go for it! My name is Jennifer and it was ridiculously common in my generation. Never bothered me! It was fun to have a friend with the same name lol

I only know 1 Olivia and she is 20 and really not a chav at all

I think I've only met a couple Olivias but I think the name is adorable.

I only know of 1 Olivia. I love the name, its not too common or chavvy imo. What about Olive as a compromise?

Around my area (UK) Olivia is very popular. I know 5 Olivia's all born in the same year as my son (2012). That being said I love the name and think its gorgeous so don't let the popularity put you off if you love it :) I don't think it's chavy at all

I Don't know any Olivia's!! They must be congregating in Berkshire ;)

i love it, its my dds middle name, the only olivias i know are age 5+ x

I do t think Olivia is chavvy at all, I only know two Olivia's, one in my daughters class and one is 34 years old. I do sometimes get put off by popularity, but I think if you love a name enough then it won't matter iykwim. I love Ava, which is mega popular, but if we didn't go with my first choice then I'd def go with it, despite its popularity.

Replace the word common with popular and popular is good! After all there's a reason Olivia is a popular name, and that is because it's very pretty. I say go for it.., I'd rather name my kid a classic and popular name than one of the hose weird names that no one else has...and there's a reason no one else has it! Lol

I live in Canada, and its supposed to be popular here - although I haven't come across too many, only about a handful.

No, I don't think common is bad at all. There are so many people trying to be original these days with names that there are more 'different' names in most classrooms than there are classic names. Thats been my personal experience.

So if you all love it, go for it :thumbup:

It definitely depends where you live. I work for the school district in California and haven't met any. :) Lovely name.

I think this Olivia is Chavvy at all. I think its classically beautiful. Although as a first name I do think its very common.

We are having it for a middle name in our case instead. Miss Charlotte Olivia.

I think its too classic to be chavvy. It definitely is popular but that's because its a lovely name. Since you're not sold what about Livia instead?

Why not check the register, I think this is the one for England. Check for your county. Something that's really popular my not be a top name in your area.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_322731.pdf

I'm a teacher and have only just been made permanent to one school. In my years teaching in lots of different schools, I've only come across 2 olivias.

It has to be a name your comfortable with, not people on a forum!

Olivia is supposedly the second most popular name for last year in the U.S., but! I named my firstborn Olivia, and have zero regrets. She's almost 5 now, and we've only encountered one other (but she spelled it with an 'A').

Besides, she has half a dozen nicknames - Olive, Liv, Livy, Yah-Yah (she made this one up herself when she about 18 months, and it stuck ever since!), and sometimes just O.

I'm probably biased, but I adore the name!

I think Olivia is lovely.
One of my OH's cousins named her daughter Olivia and she's the only one I've heard of.

My husband and I really liked this name, and I haven't met anyone in my entire life with that name.

The only reason we changed our mind is our SIL (whom we can't stand!) started going on about how much she loved that name. It really put us off of it :(

Thanks ladies we have decided to go with it (I think lol)

It seems to me that people are being more creative these days with baby names than say 25 years ago. Sure, Olivia might be on the top baby name lists but I'm willing to bet she is less likely to have other classmates named Olivia than the Jennifer's and Jessica's did back in the 80's and 90's. Go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->