OMG does anyone know anything about codeine and fertility??

LaurenaC

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for me..

After 6 years of TTC we are going to have IVF (privately funded as can't get on NHS). We have our appointment with the clinic on January 20th to get started.

Anyway I've just stumbled across something that has sent the fear of God up me! I take 30/500 co-codamol for a foot condition and have taken them daily for the last 3 years and I read someone commenting on someone else's post about pain relief saying that codeine stops ovulation?!?

Does anyone know if that's true because if it is, will IVF work for us if I continue to take the codeine or will it stop it working and stop me from producing the eggs for collection?!?

OMG really panicked now. I thought it was OK for TTC but it's not something I've ever discussed with my GP.

The reason for IVF was because I have jagged tubes and endometriosis, but could the codeine be adding to the lack of conception because it's stopped me ovulating or is that just rubbish! I did the ovulation tests for the first couple of years of TTC before I started taking the codeine daily and they always showed ovulation but because of the cost and the continued BFNs I didn't bother to do them.

😟😟😟😟

Thanks everyone xx

No personal experience here, but I guess this must have been mentioned in your history in your IVF clinic. So your doctors might be aware of it. If not, I really feel you should put up this with your IVF doc before starting cycle. Not sure about codeine/paracetamol but illness can definitely mess up with ovulation. NSAIDs are known to cause anovulation. Sorry not be of much help.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I think I'll just have to discuss it with the consultant nxt week. If it does affect it I will just not take them and stay in foot pain! Lol

😀

I think codeine is ok. I was prescribed it by nhs doc when I went in for initial baseline scan on day 3 of my period as I waa in pain.

They did say that ibroprofen is a nono as it is a NSAID and I think it messes with your lining.

I now get prescriptions for cocodomol for menstral pain and used it after EC.

Good luck with your cycle.

Paracetamol is 100% safe to use ttc or when pregnant , Its aspirin and ibuprofen you dont want to take in the LP as they both can mess with implantation. Codeine is a category C drug (Risk cannot be ruled out).

Normally when you start any treatment or clinic you fill out a form confirming all the medications you currently take and procedures you have completed. It is weird this was not already addressed.

Not sure if it prevents ovulation, have you ever had your cycles monitored? They would normally see if your follicles are growing and to what size.

Good luck hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->