Omg...so I'm gonna have to come here now??

KrisKitten

Reaction score
Lol
Since i joined BnB (scarily not that long ago!) iv been all too quickly climbing my way through each forum.
Pregnancy Club
3rd Tri
Baby Club
Breastfeeding

Now im here?
:wacko:

Ok well Tommys 5 months now....iv been toying with the idea of BLW or traditional weaning..thought i had plenty of time to decide but...??????????

So if its ok i just wondered if anyone would be able to answer a few questions for me,

- Did you opt for BLW or Traditional?
- At what age did u start?
- How did you know/decide to start at that age?
- What did you start with?
- How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals?
- What was ur meal plan for the first couple months (so how many meals/tastes etc?
- Any general nuggests of wisdom to share?

:):flower:
xxxxxx

Iv also been toying with the idea of a mix of the 2...maybe start a few days with bits from our meals, but then once wev settled maybe go for one pureed meal a da andsnacks from our meals the rest of the time....
does that sound plausable?
Im so clueless lol xxxxxx

Did you opt for BLW or Traditional?
I did traditional weaning. But I have always given aidan some of the food to feed him self as well as feeding him by spoon
- At what age did u start? During the end of his 4 month as he had reason for being weaned early and the HV advised tiny amounts of baby rice. e.g maybe about 5 spoonfuls
[/B] He wasn't putting on weight very well and he was taking 9 oz bottles draining them and screaming for more. That started towards the end of his third month so after a month of that the HV said it can't be a growth spurt.
- What did you start with? Tiny amount of baby rice
- How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals? He loved it. I gave him one spoonful and because I was waiting for his reaction he screamed at me as I wasnt giving any more
- What was ur meal plan for the first couple months (so how many meals/tastes etc? First month (until the end of the 5th month) It was just baby rice. I started off wth 5 spoonfuls at breakfast and dinner.Then by the end of the 5 month he was having small bowls and then as soon as he hit 6 months me introduced. baby cereals, jars, and blended our food. Anything ane everything really as long as it was good for him he has it. He even had the odd taste of cake
Dont rush them. If they arnt interested then dont continue. Wait until they want it. And be prepared for mess. Lots of mess :D Especially when you give them the food to do it themselves. I have had yogurt in my hair many a time

Did you opt for BLW or Traditional? BLW
At what age did u start? A few veg sticks at 5 and a half months then full BLW at 6 months
How did you know/decide to start at that age? She sat unsupported at just over 5 months and could pick up food, bring it to her mouth, chew and swallow it. I didn't start properly until 6 months as I didn't want to risk any problems with food intolerance.
What did you start with? sticks of carrot, butternut squash, pear etc.
How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals? Lots of face pulling! Some things she'd push away and other things would come straight back in her mouth over and over again.
What was ur meal plan for the first couple months Basing this on when I started properly, she eats some of virtually everything we eat apart from whole nuts and honey. We didn't limit her to one type. I try to give her as many opportunities to practice as I can. I've also started planning my meals to make sure we have a balanced diet.
Any general nuggets of wisdom to share? If you're going down the BLW route, definitely read the Gill Rapley book. I planned to do a bit of both traditional and BLW, but the book changed my mind completely.

Did you opt for BLW or Traditional? We do traditional weaning but also give Brandon finger foods or bits of our plate so he can feed himself.
At what age did u start? 5 and a half months
How did you know/decide to start at that age? Brandon showed absolutely no interest in being weaned before 6 months! So 2 weeks before he was 6 months we offered very small amounts of baby rice
What did you start with? Baby rice
How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals? Brandon didnt like baby rice and would just clamp his mouth closed or turned his head away but the first time he had carrots was hilarious! A lot of funny faces!
What was ur meal plan for the first couple months? For two weeks, Brandon had a lunch, and I gradually increased the amount for this meal, then after two weeks we offered a breakfast (again gradually increasing the amount) and tomorrow I am going to give him a dinner :D
Any general nuggets of wisdom to share? Dont get urself stressed, just stay relaxed and go at ur babys pace! And let them try as much different flavours as possible!

Good luck :D:D xxxxxx

Did you opt for BLW or Traditional? BLW

At what age did u start? 6 months

How did you know/decide to start at that age?
After reading the BLW book and taking advice from various BnB members, I decided that 6 months was the natural 'right' time to start offering solids. Although Ruby had most of the true signs of readiness at just over 5 months, I personally saw no need to start early.

What did you start with?
Her first tastes I think were broccoli and asparagus
How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals? Ruby found the veg very interesting to look at, but she wasn't bothered about eating it! she bit a little bit off but then it fell out of her mouth, which is the usual thing to happen in the early stages of BLW.

What was ur meal plan for the first couple months?

Offered whatever we were eating, whenever it was possible. ( if Ruby was asleep, we wouldn't wake her for a meal)

Any general nuggets of wisdom to share?

The BLW book taught me SO much - essential reading. Without it I'd still believe all the outdated myths about weaning.

Really try not to feel disappointed if your baby doesn't seem at all interested in, or seems to actively dislike, eating at first. Don't push it. It's a strange thing for them to get used to, it may take a while. Food is only really a toy until a year anyway - keep giving milk and they'll be getting everything they need.

Did you opt for BLW or Traditional? I chose traditional weaning but I also gave Emma bits of foods and finger foods from the start, so I kind of mixed the two

At what age did u start? 5 months

How did you know/decide to start at that age? I was feeding Emma full bottles every 2 hours and she wasn't satisfied. This lasted for weeks and weeks.

What did you start with? Baby rice, but she wasn't keen. So then some purreed veg - either carrott, parnsip, or sweet potato. Then I gradually mixed the flavours together.

How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals? She went through a stage of refusing to eat everything she'd been eating perfectly happily - so I thought it was because I was mixing too many vegetables together and she wasn't keen. So I went back to 1-2 veg.....and one day, tried her with a jar (we were out so I didn't have any homemade food with me) - she gobbled it up, so I figured she was actually wanting more taste/texture, so I gradually added tiny bits of meat/fish. This was at about 6 1/2 months.

Any general nuggets of wisdom to share? Do what you feel happy with, not what others make you think is best!

Did you opt for BLW or Traditional? BLW. After a lot of consideration. I was always going to wait till between 5 and 6 months. I was given the Annabel Karmel book and bought the Baby Led Weaning book, read them both and decided to go with BLW for a few reasons. First, because if we were waiting till 6 months or near enough anyway, it seemd like a right faff doing the Karmel suggestions with all the purees. It seemed rigid. And I could see myself feeling pressurised to get him to finish what I'd prepared for him, and possibly passing on food anxiety, and as someone who suffered with clinical eating disorders for 14 years from the teen years, and was a horrendously picky eater before then, I just thought if we give Adam what we're having, no pressure, hopefully he will only ever enjoy food and have it take a normal place in his life (and therefore also ours as a family. Problem eaters impact on everyone around them, in my experience and it's taken me about 33 of my 36 years to be ok with food, 100%). The very idea of battles at dinner time made me feel sick. So more than passing on anxiety and stress to him, I wanted to avoid it in myself, because that could not fail to have an effect on him. (And I don't knock traditional weaning, ever. It's just that *I* could see myself feeling stressed if we'd gone that way.)

I didn't enjoy reading the BLW book, though, I found it extremely repetitive. It could have been condensed into a small booklet. I do however enjoy feeling relaxed about Adam sometimes not eating much, and understanding that he wouldn't eat much for a while, and the whole thing about gagging being fine and part of him learning, and I got all that from the book, so I do recommend anyone interested gets hold of a copy and makes their way through it.

At what age did u start? 5 and a bit months.

How did you know/decide to start at that age? After reading the BLW book I thought I'd try Adam in the highchair a few times and place some food before him and see what happened. He could sit ok and grabbed at the food - spinach leaves - and got one in his mouth. So I figured that thought it was under the 6 month mark I didn't care. If he could get it in him then I'd give him the opportunity.

What did you start with? spinach leaves. then steamed broccoli sticks and slices of fresh ripe pear. then rice cakes. we gradually worked up to 3 meals a day after a month.

How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals? He tried everything. Some things he didn't go back to but he has never looked horrified or purposely spat anything out. Of course food dropped out but we expected that.

What was ur meal plan for the first couple months I do my best for us to sit down together and eat 3 meals a day. It hasn't always happened especially in the last few weeks as we're planning our wedding and there's a lot of time away from home, and I'm only just starting to be comfortable feeding him solids out of my house. I offer solids fairly soon after his 3 daytime bottles. We don't always eat exactly the same, but I always make an evening meal that we can all have most of. I've altered my cooking to reduce the salt.

Any general nuggets of wisdom to share? Do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and suits your family's situation.

- Did you opt for BLW or Traditional?

I started with traditional and moved onto BLW at 7 months

- At what age did u start?

5 months 1 week

- How did you know/decide to start at that age?

My intention had been to wait until 6 months but started earlier on doctor's advice as she wasn't gaining weight

- What did you start with?

Started with babyrice :sick:

- How did your baby react to their first tastes/meals?

She hated it, things improved once we started adding mushed fruit to it

- What was ur meal plan for the first couple months (so how many meals/tastes etc?

We started with lunch, then added breakfast, then added dinner (I think!) It baby rice with fruit in the mornings and a vegetable / meat puree for lunch and dinner. At 7 months we moved onto BLW and did porridge in the mornings where I hand her the spoon and she feeds herself. Lunch is usually toast with dairylea, fruit spread, peanut butter, puree, pitta bread with tomato puree and dairylea, crumpets, pancakes. Dinner is whatever we're eating.

I'm a huge fan of BLW so would definitely recommend it :D

[/B]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"