Omlette NIGHTMARES .. any tips?

Tsia

My MyloMan - he turned 1!
Reaction score
Every single time I make an omlette or try to, it comes out looking like scrambled egg and not appetising at all. the filling bits all fall everywhere just looks an eggy mess!

Whats the secret to keep it from falling apart and coming out in a nice shape and all golden?
I am determined to crack this.. I have a non stick ommlette pan now thinking it was my old pan but it still happening. :(

Do you add water or milk to it when you beat the eggs? You may also be putting too much filling into it which can affect the consistency. I usually cook and brown any fillings first, take them out then start cooking the eggs. About halfway through I add the toppings. If it's a large omelette I will finish it off in the oven and then flip it in half.

Try following Alton's recipe. The man has never let me down yet! https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...YQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFQP0DYs9tzpY9-Bn9vGB9ZwmSpFA

thanks.. I always use milk.. just like I do scrambled eggs. :)

Give that recipe a try then and see how you do! He's got a few more there too, including one for frittata, yum!

I could go for a good omelette too now...well not right now since it's 10:30pm! :rofl:

Have you had a chance to try one yet, Tsia? How'd you make out!?

sorry no.. been so busy, away for the weekend.. but will try it out this week. Fingers crossed it comes out better lol

Oh no myasmummy! Well, now you've got an excuse to make another one! :mrgreen:

lol yeh i could :) but i have no clue on how to flip it without it breaking or burning the bottom lol but i think i put myseld off that for a while although it can out better than my french toast...i set the fire alarm off with that! :haha:

my hubby says i make the best omlettes lol....i put the eggs and milk and seasoning into a jug then mix, pour it into a hot pan for 3 to 4 minutes on low then grill the top half until golden brown, slide from the pan onto the plate and fold as you do so :)

lol yeh i could :) but i have no clue on how to flip it without it breaking or burning the bottom lol but i think i put myseld off that for a while although it can out better than my french toast...i set the fire alarm off with that! :haha:

whats french toast? is that our version of eggy bread?
... but the americans have sugar on it from what I remember when we went to disneyland when I was 10! lol

I love making omlettes :) my tips would be to pre-cook your 'filling' then get plenty oil in the pan and let it heat up, when you pour the egg & milk mixture into the pan make sure that you leave it to completely cook on the bottom (you should see bubbles large appearing on the surface) as that's what makes it break up if its not completely done on one side, (you can then add your filling if you want it through the omlete) then using a metal spatula ease the omlete away from the sides of the pan all the way round and you should be able to get the spatula underneath the omlete so that you can gently lift it and turn it. Then give it around the same amount of time on the other side (it should be easy for you to flip from one side to the other when it's ready, then add your filling to the middle if you've not already sprinkled it through and fold in half and give it a quick heat on both sides to lock in the filling. and voilá perfect omelette :) mmmm...I now want an omlette, shame its nearly 1am!

whats french toast? is that our version of eggy bread?
... but the americans have sugar on it from what I remember when we went to disneyland when I was 10! lol

yeh eggy bread :p i couldnt remember what it was called so i said it the "posh way" haha it was the first time i made it and it was gross wont have it again! eww

I find that people cook them too quickly
i always:

never over beat the eggs!
add milk and a little butter
give the frying pan a good grease!!!
add the egg mixture to a medium heat pan (dont want to cook it too quick!!!!)
add the topping when the top is still a little bit runny and then continue to cook on a medium heat untill the top is mostly firm.

I always 'slide' (it should slide out the pan if its properly greased!!!) the omlette out while its still a tiny bit runny on the top (not too much) and then flip it in half as the remaining heat will cook the rest while its still warm. I know alot of people prefer to stick it under the oven for afew seconds also!!!

Good luck!!

I dont use milk in omlette, only heard of that in scrambled egg, just beat an egg up, chop ur extras, onions, peppers etc and throw em in the mixture, rub a bit of butter around the pan, cook med heat until edges lift, then put under the grill to cook the top side, i add grated cheese and some lea perrins mm yummy, then you can slice it like pizza triangles or just fold it over on your plate :) easy yummy omlette

I made a good omlette.. the very first one!
I mixed 3 eggs, spalsh of milk, chopped ham and the secret ingredient> cheese and onion sandwhich filler.. all in the blender.. then transferred to oiled hot non stick pan.
scrambled around for a minute or two with a fork and then let set.. turned heat down.. then turn the grill on..
finished the onlette top under the grill to ensure it was cooked through.. no burning!!

And it was perfect!!!! well I broke my bit turning it out of the pan.. but I was cheering in the kitchen! lol

Oh says out loud.. 'if this omlette is the best ever why is it not infront of me? '

LMAO..
so we enjoyed it..
certainly doing it like that again.. the grill is the trick.. and the sandwhich filler was sooooo lovely tasting to the omlette. mmm

OH said he can critiscise all my previos attempts now.. he called them burnt scrambled egg attempts! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->