one breast or two?

stephj25

Reaction score
Hi ladies

My littlest is currently 4.5 weeks and feeds every 1.5 to 2 hours. Sometimes in the night he'll go 3. Daytime naps are random as he cries a lot.

Anyway, I was just wondering if your lo takes one breast per feed or 2? How long do they sleep for? My lo always goes into an REM sleep after nursing on just the one booby, then I put him down to sleep. Am I doing it wrong? My first was a one booby baby but she slept longer stretches. Thank you

I was told to always offer the second breast... Not sure if it's always necessary or not, but my lo will never refuse number 2 even if sleeping soundly after number 1. I do bb, burp, bb, burp. At that age my lo was a crap sleeper so not sure lol.

I had read to always offer both, but saw a lactation consultant this week who suggested sticking to one per feed to get to more hindmilk... so, I think it is up to you to judge! If baby is happy, gaining weight etc then I would stick with what you are doing! :flower:

At that age I always fed one side, diaper change to wake up then offered the other side :)

I've only ever given one side at a feed so they get to the fattier hindmilk.

I think if one is working for you and bubs, stick with that. DS1 would crack it if I dared to offer him two whereas DS2 prefers to have both sides each feed.

Sleep will come (I promise...ish)

Hi ladies

My littlest is currently 4.5 weeks and feeds every 1.5 to 2 hours. Sometimes in the night he'll go 3. Daytime naps are random as he cries a lot.

Anyway, I was just wondering if your lo takes one breast per feed or 2? How long do they sleep for? My lo always goes into an REM sleep after nursing on just the one booby, then I put him down to sleep. Am I doing it wrong? My first was a one booby baby but she slept longer stretches. Thank you

So I'm pretty new to this as my baby girl is 7 days old today!
But I saw a breastfeeding lady at my midwife appointment who said feed on one breast (use the opp side to the last feed), then when baby detaches then give them a lil burp. Then change their bum if needed (this will wake them up a bit) then offer the other boob. It's normal for feeds to be from 5 mins -30 mins per boob but timing isnt i portent. As long as the weight is going the right way however your baby wants to feed is all good.

A tip she gave me is that babies have a suck reflex in their hand for the first few weeks so if baby starts snoozing on the boob, you just Rub the palm of their hand and they will start sucking again.

Hope that helps.

I only feed on one side at a time. I did that with my first DD (who nursed for 2.5 years) and I'm doing the same with my one week old now. Her naps are intermittent, but night time is great. She wakes every 3-4 hours at night, nurses on one side, and then goes right back to sleep.

I had read to always offer both, but saw a lactation consultant this week who suggested sticking to one per feed to get to more hindmilk... so, I think it is up to you to judge! If baby is happy, gaining weight etc then I would stick with what you are doing! :flower:

I've only ever given one side at a feed so they get to the fattier hindmilk.

Fore milk and hind milk is a misrepresentation of what is happening! I can't believe LCs are using the phrase. Board certified ones should understand that it is not useful to think in terms of two types of milk. There is fat in all milk but when the volume of milk produced is high it is more dilute, and when volume is low like at end of a feed it is more concentrated but it is there throughout.

Occasionally when a mum has huge oversupply (and I mean huge) baby gets full of volume and hasn't had enough fat and might need to block feed. Occasionally when a baby has a bad latch they struggle to get milk out once the milk volume is lower and it takes more work, they come off too soon and don't get enough fat. However a baby with a good latch in a mum with a normal supply will do fine on all breastmilk, there is no fore and hind!

I feed on one boob at a time. Lo feeds on one boob and goes about an hour and then feeds on the other. Before bed at night I offer both and she sleeps better

Both of my babies are/were offered one breast at a feed. They would have been sick if I offered the second.

My LO doesn't take both unless I stop him in mid feed and swap - he's 3 months old. I only do that if we are out somewhere and I can't pump. But if we are at home then he eats on one side while I pump the other. Do whatever works best for you and your LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->