OPK paranoia

Suki73

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I'm looking for a little advice from those of you who are more expert at this than I am.

I've been charting BBT and doing OPK's since CD6. All have been negative, and I've been using FMU. Yesterday, (CD15) I had EWCM. Haven't noticed it today, and still a negative on the OPK. My last cycle was 33 days in length, and according to various 'average' calculators I shouldn't expect to ovulate until next Monday based on a 33 day cycle.

I have a few questions. I'm using Clearblue OPK, which says you can test any urine, provided you've waited 4 hours since previous urination. But I've read online that LH synthesizes during the day and your peak is around 2 pm. So I'm wondering if it's possible to miss the surge by testing with FMU?

Also, how positive a sign of OV is EWCM? It was fairly unmistakeable yesterday and when I've had it in the past I've assumed I've ovulated (I have *fairly* regular periods as a rule) but this charting and POAS'ing is kind of driving me nuts and making me very self-conscious.

My temps have been on a downward trajectory since AF so no sign of anything there.

Any tips or hints would be very welcome. :flower:

I use FMU or SMU and I haven't missed a surge yet. I use bothe the CB digi and the IC. I think this is one of those things that you have to play around with until you know how your body works. When I started using these, for the first cycle I tested twice a day from CD8 on....:hugs:

Thanks Dachshundmom, I'm using the Clearblue Digi too. I might test twice a day around now.

This is my first cycle ovulation testing, even though we have put TTC on hold until September or October. I have this 'a watched pot never boils' feeling but I guess I just have to relax or distract myself. :wacko:

Thanks Dachshundmom, I'm using the Clearblue Digi too. I might test twice a day around now.

This is my first cycle ovulation testing, even though we have put TTC on hold until September or October. I have this 'a watched pot never boils' feeling but I guess I just have to relax or distract myself. :wacko:

Once you see your first positive you will know what your body does and testing will just become routine!

Just out of interest, Dachshundmom, how many postives do you get per cycle?

Just out of interest, Dachshundmom, how many postives do you get per cycle?

Typically 2, but this cycle I got 4. In all seriousness, if you are tempting, stop the OPKs after your first positive. I drove myself nuts this time around and made several calls to the doctor, lol. :wacko:

Some women have shorter LH surges, so using internet dip sticks which are cheaper 3 times per day (morning, early afternoon and evening) can really help pinpoint if you're one of them! I have 2-3 days positive in a row (long surge) so easier to pick up. They do recommend to not use FMU in general, although a minority of women will get a positive on those. I never have, even in the middle of a surge!

Sorry to read and run have to sign off , great advice though

Well, I've tested twice a day for several days in a row, several months in a row, and I've never gotten a +opk. I must have a short surge.

Years ago, I did temping and learned a lot about my body. So, I don't do opks, but I have education myself, if that makes sense.

Now, I just go by signs of ovulation. I have tons of obvious ewcm and intense ovulation pain. I know that's my fertile time so I ditched the opks.

I get a few days of EWCM before my surge on the opk (or I did last month at least, which was only cycle 2).

Because I was using ICs last month as JuneBug says they are so cheap you can afford to test away with wild abandon 3 or 4 times a day.

Didn't get any proper positives on FMU but got weak positives one day, and very strong positives the whole of the next day, and then had ov pain that night, and temp rise the next morning.

Didn't bother testing after that as I had confirmed ov with temp rises.

There's a whole section on the main TTC forum for OPK's and you may find some more advice on there too.

From what I can tell, they don't work for everyone, but they are useful if the temping itself doesn't reassure you - this week I've had really disturbed sleep and last 2 days loads of cuddles of my OH so waking up hot.

Thanks for the advice, ladies - got my positive smiley this morning at 11 am on Clearblue. Lol I got quite a kick out of seeing the smiley face and a giggle in the morning is always a good thing :)

Actually visited the doc yesterday morning for a smear test and she said "Oh, you're ovulating!" I felt like saying "tell that to my ovulation predictor kit..." lol. Then a + this morning on day 18.

Dachshundmom, I agree about not testing further after a positive, I've spent a fortune on these things this month already! Happy I've got the positive though, and I'll keep an eye out for my thermal shift from now on...

Good luck! Go get 'em!!!
And if this cycle doesn't work for you, instead of spending a fortune on the expensive OPKs, you can get some on eBay and they work beautifully for me (I compared with the expensive ones to make sure!). I got 50 IC's for $18CAD!!!

Junebug, I think I will get the cheapies next time. Really, you could bankrupt yourself doing this POAS lark!

We're not trying to conceive this cycle and probably not until September/October now, so this is just for the sake of observation and getting to know my cycles a bit better. I've just always 'assumed' that I've been ovulating because I've always had regular cycles, but I have never TTC before. And I've been worried my assumptions have been inaccurate...

So glad I found this place though, the info and support are amazing. :)

Actually I couldn't resist doing the test again this morning and got another smiley face... would love to be able to ttc this cycle but we'll have to wait (work issues)

Hi there I am 36, willbe 37 in Dec. My cycles are usually 27-28 days. I don not temp. I MC on 06/12 to make a looong story short, my betas from that MC finally came down to o sometime between 06/23-06/29. On 06/29 I had my appt with my OB and she drew the blood for the betas

I use the digital OPKS from CBE, After the MC, when I stopped bleeding and had a neg HPT, I started checking OPKs once a day, first I used FMU and got nadda, figured well MC messed up things, On the Tues 06/28 I did an OPK, and got an empty circle. On 06/29 around 430ishpm I got a smiley face, I was SHOCKED, I repeated the OPK at 830is that night and back to empty circle.

I would suggest checking 2-3x day with IC, if you think you have a + then confirm with a digital and keep checking at least the first cycle to see how long your surge seems to show up. We BD the next day before 430p LOL BTW.

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for that - it can kind of take you by surprise, I think. I've been surprised by the fact that I ovulate later than I thought - obviously around CD20 or 21. Given the fact that my cycles are 33-35 days that makes sense, but it's really good information to have. I have been testing twice a day since I got a first positive, just to see how long the surge lasts. I'll be keeping a beady eye on my temps too. So far I've had four positives, weakish ones yesterday but much stronger today (am also using Boots own brand dipsticks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->