OT- Anyone have any tips for nail biters?

emalou90

Reaction score
Desperate to stop :growlmad:
Tips would be appreciated!

Hey i was a nail biter my entire life until a few years ago. I mean BAD - id bite till they bled and stung!

What worked for me is to start taking care of them. Sounds simple but it worked.

Basically i just started giving myself manicures and even tho they looked terrible id oil them, paint them with a light colour and they would instantly look slightly better which would encourage me not to bite. Id do this every couple of days and once they started to grow a bit they looked even better again so id find it easier not to bite.

I still occasionally nibble at them lol but in general its an 100% improvement. They always look nice.

Its just a matter of getting yourself out of the habit.

OPI nail strengthener.

Its £18 which is quite pricey but it is the only thing that has made me stop biting my nails in 15 years. You just apply it every other day. Today I finally reached the stage where i went to Boots and bought myself all sorts of fancy manicure stuff. So excited to try them out tonight :D

I used to bite my nails when younger and my Mum used to get this varnish you put on that tasted awful, cant remember what it was, not sure if it would be suitable in pregnancy though!!

Agree with a pp, treat yourself and paint them in a lovely colour, they will be too nice to bite :) x

I used to bite my nails when younger and my Mum used to get this varnish you put on that tasted awful, cant remember what it was, not sure if it would be suitable in pregnancy though!!

Agree with a pp, treat yourself and paint them in a lovely colour, they will be too nice to bite :) x

haha i used that stuff and i kept biting them anyway :haha:

It tasted so horrible :dohh:

OPI nail strengthener.

Its £18 which is quite pricey but it is the only thing that has made me stop biting my nails in 15 years. You just apply it every other day. Today I finally reached the stage where i went to Boots and bought myself all sorts of fancy manicure stuff. So excited to try them out tonight :D

Does it chip like normal nail polish does? I've found that normal nail polish actually makes me more tempted to bite my nails as I hate the uneven feel of it once it chips (which for me is within hours).

OPI nail strengthener.

Does it chip like normal nail polish does? I've found that normal nail polish actually makes me more tempted to bite my nails as I hate the uneven feel of it once it chips (which for me is within hours).

It does chip a little bit but maybe because you're topping it up every other day, it doesn't seem as bad as regular nail polish? I do still pick at my nails a bit but I'm not constantly biting them which was bugging me so much :/

haha i used that stuff and i kept biting them anyway :haha:

It tasted so horrible :dohh:

Me too! But I'd bite through the nastiness.

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions.
I tried putting clear varnish on, it was a strengthener type one. Really good. But it grew my nails and I've demolished them all this morning - I'm a long term biter. I reckon it's a condition!! A bit of a compulsion. :dohh:

Managed to grow my nails earlier this year then we had an Ofsted visit and all my good work went out the window:haha:

My trick was the cheap stick on nails from primark £1.00 a pack. I would stick those on and they'd last a few day before popping off, then I'd replace with a different design. They got me used to having nails and I couldnb't bite them so my real nails grew in underneath. They were a right mess at the start and needed lots of TLC and strengthing but only took a couple of weeks to get them nice looking.

I have bitten my nails since I first got teeth and they are a complete state at the minute!

I actually bite the cheap false nails :s
I found that french tips gel nails I don't bite, but can't afford to get them every 2 weeks!

I bit my nails for as long as I can remember. I finally quit biting them about 6 years ago when I became a teller at a credit union. Nothing like dirty money to turn you off to biting your nails. Every now and then I'll have an accident and bit one or two off. lol. But usually they look pretty good. I think the trick is to get them started and once they get started, you won't want to bite them because they look so much prettier. Now it seems like I have to cut mine every week because they grow so fast.

I bit my nails for as long as I can remember. I finally quit biting them about 6 years ago when I became a teller at a credit union. Nothing like dirty money to turn you off to biting your nails. Every now and then I'll have an accident and bit one or two off. lol. But usually they look pretty good. I think the trick is to get them started and once they get started, you won't want to bite them because they look so much prettier. Now it seems like I have to cut mine every week because they grow so fast.

Yeah, thats the thing that got me stop. I hated having disgusting fingers. WHen I was in shops etc, I used to curl my fingers around so that people wouldn't see my nails!

I just did my first manicure! Looks a bit ropey but ok, kinda! I feel a bit pretty for a change :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->