OT - root canal treatment

xemmax

mummy in love
Reaction score
i have to have root canal :cry: and i'm scared!

i have a dodgy tooth (has a slight mark on it, only tooth i've ever had problems with and currently has a huge filling in) and recently i've had so much tooth ache it's keeping me up at night.

so i'm off for root canal treatment on monday even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tooth, just the filling is so big and it's so sensitive it's too annoying now... and i'm terrified, i hate the thought of needles in my gums which is why i've always looked after my teeth so well!

has anyone had it? please tell me it isn't that bad. :nope:

poor you, i went to the dentist the other day cos i had a really sensitive tooth, he did and x ray and said i need the filling taking out, checking there is no infection then putting a new one back in....worse case senario i need root canal treatment........am so scared!! hate the dentist so much! sorry i cant be of more help, but wanted to say i know how you feel!good luck
x

poor you, i went to the dentist the other day cos i had a really sensitive tooth, he did and x ray and said i need the filling taking out, checking there is no infection then putting a new one back in....worse case senario i need root canal treatment........am so scared!! hate the dentist so much! sorry i cant be of more help, but wanted to say i know how you feel!good luck
x

that is exactly what's happened to me! i went ages ago because of the sensitivity and he suggested removing the filling and replacing it with a white one, but when i went the other day he just said straight up root canal.. :wacko: scary! i've just watched some videos on youtube of root canal treatment being done and honestly it's made me feel better.. try it! hope it goes well for you!! xx

aaaaah now youve said that am even more scared i will need it!!!hahaha. gotta book myself an appointment to go get it done....will do it tomorrow (if i get the courage!)
please let me know how you get on
x

haha don't be scared! i just keep thinking "if i could get through 29 hours of contractions and 18 hours of established labour then i can get through 45 minutes of root canal"... doesn't help though :rofl: i will let you know! xx

very true i also had a long labour....but will need gas and air to help me through the dentists chair!!

I've had 3 root canal fillings - you'll be fine! It's not very pleasant and quite time consuming but you'll be ok. I didn't feel the injection as he numbed the gum and then I felt nothing, just heard the drill, but I closed my eyes and pictured Harrison :)
xx

I've had 3 root canal fillings - you'll be fine! It's not very pleasant and quite time consuming but you'll be ok. I didn't feel the injection as he numbed the gum and then I felt nothing, just heard the drill, but I closed my eyes and pictured Harrison :)
xx

ahhh thanks hun, did you really not feel anything? my tooth has hurt so much today i'm actually looking forward to getting it over and done with.. dreading the possibility that oliver may well start screaming during it though, have to bring him with me as i can't leave him that long without a feed! :dohh: xx

I went the dentist about a year ago after weeks of tooth ache! My dentist is foreign so i cant really understand him, he started babbling about what he was going to do and i just agreed, all i understood was injection! lol

Anyway.... when he was done, i asked again what he had done and the assistant who was english said you have just had a root canal! I honestly didnt feel a thing! :thumbup:

Am glad i never new what he was doing tho as i would have been petrified!

hi, i was a dental nurse in my previous life before having a baby :haha: you really shouldn't worry about root canal treatment - as long as they numb the tooth properly beforehand you shouldn't feel a thing. the only discomfort can be having your mouth open for so long ! molar teeth take the longest as the have more canals to clean out, but if it's a front one it'll be much quicker

good luck (but you won't need it :) )

I went the dentist about a year ago after weeks of tooth ache! My dentist is foreign so i cant really understand him, he started babbling about what he was going to do and i just agreed, all i understood was injection! lol

Anyway.... when he was done, i asked again what he had done and the assistant who was english said you have just had a root canal! I honestly didnt feel a thing! :thumbup:

Am glad i never new what he was doing tho as i would have been petrified!

hi, i was a dental nurse in my previous life before having a baby :haha: you really shouldn't worry about root canal treatment - as long as they numb the tooth properly beforehand you shouldn't feel a thing. the only discomfort can be having your mouth open for so long ! molar teeth take the longest as the have more canals to clean out, but if it's a front one it'll be much quicker

good luck (but you won't need it :) )

you have both made me feel soo much better about it! thank you so much :hugs: :hugs:

i'm never usually bothered by the dentist - everyone makes out that root canal is such a big deal though! xx

I had root canal about 3 years ago and I personally didnt find it that bad (SIL had it done and put the fear of god in me:shrug:))

You will feel pressure and having your mouth open for a while will ache but to be honest (and Im sure your the same) the pain from the tooth was so bad I didnt care as long as it worked. My dentist also told me then that I had a high pain threshhold as I did it in one sitting and she was right - 18 hour labour with no meds at all :thumbup:

Dont worry - you will be fine :hugs:

its fine.. I had it after an infection in the nerve.. then refilled but little of my natural tooth remains and the filling fell out.
you will notice the pain go in an instant.
its a little evasive.. scrubbing back and forth vigorously with a miniture pipe cleaner to get rid of the root leaving a wide canal to be filled with filling.. but well worth it..

i have to have mine clean out now,, it doesnt hurt though.. cos theres no root nerve.. just sharp half a tooth! lol

OH had root canal surgery today.. he was anxious but came back saying he neednt have taken th day off work! lol

You'll be fine :flow:
I've had a partial root canal, and so long as they numb it up properly you won't feel a thing!
Mine didn't numb properly as it was very infected ( I had a phobia of the dentist, but i'm ok now)
Just let them do what they've gotta do, 45mins of discomfort from your mouth being open is better than weeks of toothache :hugs:

I had a fear of the dentists too but to be honest its easy the thought was worse than reality....i had to have root canal on tuesday and it didnt hurt just pressure feeling x

I had a tooth out a few weeks ago with a lovely dental surgeon and the best piece of advice she gave me was to say if its hurting as it really shouldn't & if it is then stop them and ask for some more anaesthetic!

I've had a root canal. I didn't find it too bad, it was just kind of time consuming and they did it in two separate visits so that was kind of annoying but pain wise it was fine.
If you can either listen to music on an ipod or a tv, that will drown out some of the noise, not that it was horrible in my memory.
(Wisdom teeth extractions are much worse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->