Our "birth" story - 5 weeks after the event lol

mushmouth

Mum to an amazing Girl
Reaction score
Throughout my pregnancy, from 16 weeks onwards I had on/off high blood pressure and spent far too many long days and a few nights in the hospital being monitored and tested for Pre-eclampsia... I was under consultant care for the blood pressure and so was kinda thinking I was going to get induced at around 38 weeks. however at my 37 week appointment, the registrar (not my real consultant) decided I was ok, and signed me off from the high risk care and sent me packing...

On Thursday 24th March, at 40+5 I was due for a sweep... but the midwife decided my blood pressure was again, too high and sent me back up to the hospital. My husband and I trotted off as we always did, fully expecting to either be sent home in a few hours, or kept in over night and sent home in the morning. It didn't quite pan out that way... normally my BP would come down after a few tests but this time it didn't... and I was having some mini but regular contractions. he doctor admitted me to the maternity ward with the aim to induce me in the morning.

By midnight I was contracting ever 2-3 minutes but they weren't very painful, at 4am I asked for some pain pills and fell asleep, when I woke at 6 they were only every ten minutes and barely there... boo. 7 am the midwife put me on the CTG monitor to trace the baby's heart rate and my contractions, and it showed with each contraction, the babies heart rate was dropping and then recovering, and it was decided I would be sent straight to labour ward to be induced and monitored constantly. When I got there I was 3cm Dilated.

let me add at this point that I had always wanted a proper hippy birth... hypno-birthing, water, drug free etc, and after being signed off the high risk care I'd set me heart on it again. Well now that was out of the window! Phoned hubby who met me in my huge labour room, where I would be strapped up on a monitor and made to lie on my left side only for the next 6 hours. I wasn't even allowed to go pee, I had to hover over a bedpan with my Husband holding me up! yuck.

anyway - They decided to put my on a drip and pop my waters to speed things along, but after 4 hours I was only 4cm, and the baby had had enough. Her heart rate wasn't picking up after the contractions for a good 4 minutes. at one point they lost the heart rate all together and they had to put a clip on her head, but that wasn't getting a reading and they decided to scan her. I had at least 10 doctors, midwives and students in there by this point. 3 different consultants and registrars arguing over what best to do, but the baby dictated the next step. The scan showed the baby was "brachycardic" and her heart rate was dangerously low, for prolonged periods, and they pushed the big red alarm button, and the room filled with people and I was pushed out. I had gotten to 6cm on gas and air, stuck on my left side, high off my face and totally out of control. I even asked for an epidural hoping to get control back of my brain, but as the guy came to do it I puked and pee'd all over the place... not that it mattered - I was being taken for a category 1 emergency c-section.

The spinal injection to numb me was hard, I still wasn't allowed off my left hand side so couldn't sit up like most do, so had to try and curl up into a ball and push my spine out for them to find the space to inject the anaesthetic, but having the worlds largest bump didn't make it easy! I had two people pushing my knees up into my chest, and two pushing my head down... the anaesthetist went in 3 times before he eventually got it right.

Within minutes My husband was brought in, wearing the full scrubs outfit (whitwoooo) and as he sat down, they told him to stand back up - the baby was out! from the moment they cut my skin, to sewing me back up - 7 minutes according to the big white board!

Olivia-Leigh B was born screaming at 1.17pm on Friday 25th March, weighing 7lb 13oz.
she was perfectly fine... Just had her cord wrapped round her knees and had been squeezing it. Blooming diva!

She latched and fed as soon as we got to the recovery room, and has done so ever since... shes a little star!

What amazing story. I think Diva is a very fitting nickname. You sound like you coped amazingly well so proud of you. I did the peeing and puking thing, I think by that point your too far gone to care!!!

:cry: I'm so glad your princess arrived safley. I love her muchly!! Doesn't it feel like forever ago now, our pregnancies seem like a different lifetime.

I'm so glad to be part of your new journey! Olivia is just perfect :cloud9:

Xxx

Congratulations. Lovely story. Glad yr both doing well x

Aww Mush that just made me cry. Im so pleased Olivia arrived safely. She is gorgeous and perfect. :cloud9: xxx

Congrats again hun! Sounds like you were amazing xx

So funny, Olivia and Lucy were born on the same day, only half an hour apart - and I have only just written my birth story, 5 weeks later as well!

:cry:

What a lovely story! Well done hun :) so glad I was there to follow your pregnancy and birth and now little Olivia :) xx

Wow - sounds like it was tough.

Important thing is that Olivia is here, safe, sound and doing well!

:hugs: xXx

wow I bet you werent expecting all that. so happy for you and where has the time gone xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->