Our car has just spectacularly failed its MOT!

RachA

Reaction score
Well when i say failed the MOT it didn't even get that far! They did a pre-MOT check and worked out there was over £600's worth of work that was needed and that was without looking inside the engine or under the car!!!!:cry:

Looks like we will be spending the weekend looking for a new car.

Blimey! Sorry to hear about your car... I hope you find a new one soon :flower: xx

Thanks - i don't mind having to get a new car, its the fact that we have such a short about of time to look for one thats a pain in the butt!

Oh no!! Least you'll be getting a new one ;) x

Shame we can't have anything exciting though - Oh to go back to the days of our convertible VW lol! Tried to tell OH that we should buy 2 cheaper cars and get a 'boring ' car and a 'fun' car!

Where did you get the MOT done hun? I took my car to quickfit a couple of years ago, it failed with £350 worth of work needed so I took it to my local garage for a second opinion, yes I had to pay another £35 for and MOT but he turned round and said god knows what they're talking about in quickfit! You need a new headlight, it'll cost you a tenner!!!!

It's definately worth getting a second opinion before writing it off x

echo the above, where did you take it? and how can they estimate over 600 when they havent checked under the car or engine

sounds very suss to me tbh

Id get it re-checked too. I always get free m.o.t as my oh's best matw is a mechanic, we had to write our last car off though due to so much work need doing wasn't worth it, the car was that bad he labelled it as a death trap waiting to happen :(

It's someone who's been working on our cars for quite a long time so i trust his opinion totally. He always does his best to get the parts for as good a price as he can.

The pre check was done because the car is relatively old (S reg) and he already knew that there were some things that needed replacing - i.e. the whole exhaust needs doing, we had it welded just before christmas to get it though to the MOT, so that's a big chunk of money, the tyres all need replacing and the other bits are things that you can see without doing a thorough check. We only paid £2500 for it when we bought it so we were prepared to pay for about £500 worth of work.

Feel your pain! last we brought a car spent 1k on it, and at its first mot since we had it we paid out 1200 pounds... but whos to say if we took that 1200 and brought another car, that, that car wouldn't of done the same thing ? lol x

Mine failed its MOT badly last week too - was quoted £500 just for parts!

Called a local mobile mechanic and he's doing it all for £300! Though the garage said I needed a new handbrake but theres nothing up with mine apparently!

Feel your pain! last we brought a car spent 1k on it, and at its first mot since we had it we paid out 1200 pounds... but whos to say if we took that 1200 and brought another car, that, that car wouldn't of done the same thing ? lol x

That's the problem - you just don't know with second hand cars!

Mine failed its MOT badly last week too - was quoted £500 just for parts!

Called a local mobile mechanic and he's doing it all for £300! Though the garage said I needed a new handbrake but theres nothing up with mine apparently!

I hate garages like that - so annoying. At least you managed to get yours done cheaper than they said :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->