Over supply... Express it let it regulate itself??

embeth

Mum to 4 perfect children
Reaction score
Hi

I am bf my third baby. Did same with last two. Problem is I always produce too much milk, he doesn't come close to emptying them even tho he is a great feeder. My boobs are permenantly full and firm. I want to express just to relieve them and get rid of lumpiness but don want to increase my supply even further :/ any advice???

You can hand express a bit to relieve the pressure and lumpiness. Did you ever try blocked feeding with your older 2? It helped me get rid of oversupply.

Yes I would also suggest hand expressing just a little bit until it is bearable. I wouldn't use a pump as this may make it worse.

You can hand express a bit to relieve the pressure and lumpiness. Did you ever try blocked feeding with your older 2? It helped me get rid of oversupply.

whats blocked feeding?? x

I agree with hand expressing. Only express enough to relieve the uncomfortable feeling, no more than that. Your supply will eventually regulate. x

Its where you feed on one side per feed. If you already do that you could do one side for 2 feeds before switching. I had to do 2 feeds on one side. If you Google it kellymom has good info on it.

Pumping will make it a lot worse long term Hun.

I agree with clock feeding being the way to go.

If you're already doing one boob per feed then go two one boob for two feeds.

Or at this early stage it might be easier to do one boob for 3 hours then the next for 3 etc. or even 4 hours if the first one is still full.

They'll soon get the message to slow down a bit. X

I block fed and hand expressed a bit to relieve pain. For me a pump kept my supply up because I would always have a let down when I used it.

I'm a FTM and decided I couldn't wait for my body to self regulate so I have been collecting my let down and feeding him once a day from the bottle- that way I'm reducing the feeds but not pumping and baby is still getting breast milk .. It seems to have slowed down the pressure and engorgement - I still have a good supply just not as full which is great

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->