Oversupply & engorgement. How do I fix it?!

StarBrites

Reaction score
Do any of you have an oversupply issue that leads to engorgement? My right breast is massive and leads to a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance so Ellie gets colicky and very gassy with explosive green poos. I've been block feeding her on the left and she's been sleeping better and her poos have turned yellow again, but my right breast got so engorged that it was rock hard all the way into my armpit and hurt so bad I had to end up pumping. I'm trying to get the production to go down but cabbage leaves aren't really helping, and I read you aren't supposed to express any because it will make your breast think it needs to make more milk. I'm at a loss :(

You can try block feeding. Per 4 hour block only nurse from one side no matter how many times she wants to nurse during that 4 hours. The next 4 hours use the other side.

How do I do it with the severely engorged breast? Just give it to her engorged and let her keep nursing off it for a few hours?

Yes. You can hand express a bit before if she has problems latching with it being that engorged.

https://www.mother-2-mother.com/blockfeeding.htm

Great thank you! One more question. If she is feeding on one side and the time for the next block hits do I pull her off and give the other breast or let her finish- even if it cuts into the next block?

I have this same issue. My lactation consultant told me to block feed for 4 hours and to hand express when I get painful. But only hand express enough to relieve the pressure/pain. My lactation consultant said if it's almost the next boobs turn, just use that one. If baby is a comfort nurser (which brings supply up, this is my problem) you can use a pacifier/dummy or your finger if you are comfortable with her having something to suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->