Oversupply issues!!

redlemonade

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Really hope you can help! I've always had a 'great' supply - the hospital were amazed how much I had right away. However, today I appear to have a huge oversupply! My DD is 11 weeks old.

Today, I woke up engorged and she is literally choking on the breast, pulling off and screaming :( I'd read that, in these situations, I should feed on one breast only for a full feed/for 2-3 hours to ensure it drains fully. I've also hand expressed into a muslin at the beginning of the feed and unlatched her to catch the 'let down'. I've also been feeding lying down to slow the flow.

However, it's not been enough I think. She's been seriously upset and frantic at how fast the milk is coming :cry: Earlier today, I could only get her on one breast as the other was obviously too full and spewing milk at her. At one stage, milk squirted into her eye when I unlatched her!! Poor baba :(

How should I manage this oversupply? I'm scared to do block feeding. I was so engorged that I ended up pumping (and she latched on better after) but that's probably not great for my supply, right?

What causes oversupply? She's been comfort sucking a lot lately, could that do it? I'm not drinking any nursing or fennel/fenugreek tea or eating oats! But could it be something else in my diet?

One thing I've noticed lately is that she's been a lot more efficient at feeding and feeding is generally taking much less time than it used to. I've also recently weaned off the shields (she had tongue tie), so I wonder if the oversupply has to do with greater stimulation without the shields?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm scared that she'll have breast aversion if this continues!

I'm not sure how to explain this in english so excuse my clumsy explanations :haha:

Heat on breast = stimulates milk production
Cold on breast = slows down milk production

So you could avoid taking hot showers, and put wet, cold towels on your breasts. Might not be a miracle solution but it should help!

Ah great, I have cold compresses in the fridge :thumbup:
Should I put them on just before a feed?

Ive had this the last few nights. Ive always pumped once-twice a day to get 120-150ML. But the lsst few nights I could have easily pumped 2-3 bottles throughout the night. And right now, I feel like my baby isnt drinking enough as after a feed I still feel full!

Sorry to hear you're having the same issues night flower! I do feel somewhat 'empty-ish' after a feed but I feel full again very soon after! Ah! It's actually very uncomfortable :(

I was advised NOT to put them on before a feed but since your LO has a hard time feeding because of your oversupply I guess you could do some tests and see what works the best for you (put them on briefly before a feed, put them on only after a feed...)
One thing's sure though, I wouldn't leave the cold compresses on too long before LO feeds.

Why are you scared to do block feeding? It's what sorted out over supply for me. I feed for 3-4 hours off one side before switching to the other. It also makes sure your baby gets all the thicker more filling hind milk rather than just the thinner foremilk.

You're probably right with all the reasons for the oversupply, it will settle down again and level out, you may have to pump a bit off to make it easier for your lo to latch but try and do as little pumping as possible and block feeding is definitely fab x

I was advised NOT to put them on before a feed but since your LO has a hard time feeding because of your oversupply I guess you could do some tests and see what works the best for you (put them on briefly before a feed, put them on only after a feed...)
One thing's sure though, I wouldn't leave the cold compresses on too long before LO feeds.

Thanks Fleur! I had compresses on earlier and she'll be due a feed shortly so fingers crossed!

Why are you scared to do block feeding? It's what sorted out over supply for me. I feed for 3-4 hours off one side before switching to the other. It also makes sure your baby gets all the thicker more filling hind milk rather than just the thinner foremilk.

You're probably right with all the reasons for the oversupply, it will settle down again and level out, you may have to pump a bit off to make it easier for your lo to latch but try and do as little pumping as possible and block feeding is definitely fab x

I heard that block feeding can reduce the milk supply TOO much which is why I was scared. How long did it take for your supply to decrease through block feeding, if you don't mind me asking? :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->