• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Painting the boy's room. Someone that is good at DIY please help

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
I am currently re doing my boys room with a space theme. I have just painted the ceiling a dark blue (night sky) and the first coat looks so patchy :( Will it look even after a second coat? Any tips? When it is done I ma putting a glow in the dark moon and stars on it. Really want it to look great. Any help would be hugely appreciated

You'll need at least a couple of coats - I'm assuming it's white you're trying to cover? The first coat always looks patchy, let it dry then do another coat and then see if it needs another. It will cover eventually! Are you using a roller or a brush? I prefer a big brush on ceilings.

I am using a roller :/ Will it cover using a roller?

When I did my LOs room pink it came out all patchy. I switched to a small roller (takes ages I know but it's worth it) and only had to do another coat on top of the crappy patchy coat. I find smaller rollers are more accurate and causes a less patchy finish.

It also depends on the paint. I bought a one coat light blue paint to go over my boys previously brown walls. The one coat covered them perfectly. X

When you're going for a complete colour change the second coat should fix the patchiness, or you could even do a third coat if it looks needed.

Whether to use a brush or a roller can depend a lot on your paint, but I'm guessing you're using something waterbased, in which case you're generally best off using a good roller or a brush with very fine bristles and being quite methodical about it to avoid the strokes showing, ie. trying to do long linear strokes in the same direction.

These are obviously just my experiences and you could always ask the paint shop for what they recommend.

I painted a white room with two green walls for my son :) the first coat looked awful! Second was great x

I did dark chocolate brown on cream and the first coat wasn't patchy but it didn't look as rich as I wanted. After the second coat though is was fine :)

I would probably advise what another PP did and use a smaller roller, or just keep on applying coats until it's not patchy. The most you should need is 3.

I don't use rollers I use these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harris-Taskmaster-400-5-Part-Paint/dp/B002B7NSN6/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

And I've always had a great finish with them. I've never painted a ceiling with them though so I'm not sure how useful they'd be for that :haha:

I always do two coats, no matter what. I also take a brush and touch up any bare spots. Two coats usually does the trick though.

If you want it to look patchy (it might look affective for a space theme - the sky) i knew someone who painted the walls blue and scrunched up a sponge and dabbed light blue/ white over the top for a sky/cloud type look. Or you could do small patches to look like this nebula(?) thingy

[Removed at request of the website]

You'll just have to keep putting coats until it looks right. When we did red it took a good 5 coats. The darker the color the more coats it will probably take.

The main things are a) the type of roller used b) your strokes c) having enough paint on your roller d) usually it is safe to assume 2 coats are needed

It's important to have the right kind of roller for the type of texture you are covering. For example, if the ceiling has a textured finish, you will need a 'hairier' roller that will cover all the dimples/bumps etc. more easily. Using a smooth roller over a textured finish means the paint won't penetrate the gaps as much so that's important.

It's all in your strokes. The longer the strokes, the better. However, if your ceiling is big and it's difficult for you to do it all in one stroke, you can split it in two and do half strokes instead. It's best to start your stroke away from the edge of the previous one (as the first stroke always contains more paint) and work it into the previous stroke. There are videos on youtube that demonstrate a good stroke. It's worth watching as many people just roll it on any which way and then you end up with stroke lines all over the place. :dohh:

Don't be afraid to put enough paint on your roller. If it's dripping all over the place, you have too much though. :haha: It should be heavy, but not dripping all over and you should be able to do a good bit in one go.

Generally, when painting, a general rule is to expect 2 coats. The first is the main coverage, whereas the second perfects it and makes it look better. You really shouldn't have much problems with covering white, you just need to take it slowly and make sure you have enough paint on there covering it. Your second coat should fix it. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->