Pap smear detected changes that require further investigation

Foxybabyhg3

Mamma to Skylar TTC #2
Reaction score
Hi

I've just had a letter stating the above and I need to go for a colposcopy. I think it was my 1st smear, I had lots of other swabs & smears over the past decade but never asked what they were. This was my 1st "official" smear as I need an upto date one for my IVF appt.

I'm so scared, the leaflets say abnormal results are common but I've read horror stories on the net. Have any of you ladies had a colposcopy?

Yes. I have. I had some issues when I was quite young; between the ages of 19 and 22. I has an abnormal pap and went back for a colposcopy. They determined that I had dysplasia cells which are very early cancer cells.
They also determined that I had venereal warts which I was unaware that I had.

I ended up having cryosurgery, where they freeze part of the cervix. I had to get pap smears every six months for period of years. Some more cells came back and I had a bit of cutting done on my cervix. The whole thing was over by the time I was 22; I have never had an abnormal smear since and I am 44 years old and have had 2 children.

This is why they are now pushing for young girls to be vaccinated for the Human Pappillomavirus or HPV. It is now known that this virus which causes genital warts also can cause cervical cancer. Dysplasia cells are easily gotten rid of; there are 7 stages of cancer cells and that is the earliest.

Good luck!

Yes, I had this done in 2008. First, take a deep breath and try to relax! The actual procedure is not that bad, relatively painless.

I can definitely understand your fears about this though. Everything you read on the Internet can be down right scary. In reality though, you are most likely going to be just fine! They found some odd white lesions on my cervix, but they turned out to be nothing.

How old are you? If you are under 26, I would recommend getting the HPV vaccines. It's a set of 3 shots of Gardasil. This vaccine will prevent the major types of cancer but not all.

To date, all of my smears have come back normal, and I am doing just fine.

Be strong, stay calm, and it'll be over before you know it!

I have had this also. My first smear came back with abnormal cells which were level 1. I had a biopsy and they were actually level 3 (worse). I then had these cells burnt away (sorry dont know the medical terms!!). They said if I had've had my family they would have removed the bottom of my cervix there and then but as I had not had any children they didnt do this as it weakens the cervix.

Anyways I have had several smears since this and they have all been clear.

I think the main thing is getting it seen to quickly so there isnt any lasting damage.

I know this thread is a few days old but I just wanted to post my experience as well. I had an irregular pap when I was 20, HSIL is what they called it High grade something something lesions. I had a colposcopy. Maybe it was my youth but i wasn't freaked out. The doctor told me it that most likely my body would fight the hpv infection and things would not progress any further. So I went with it. And I had a clear pap six months later, and then a clear pap every six months for two years, and am still having clear ones today 8 years later. My dysplasia was moderately severe and my body still healed itself. I know that if this happened now, I would totally lose my mind and want them to freeze everything off. But it's good to know that the body is pretty amazing and that it can fight this stuff off pretty well.

Thanks for your replies ladies. Very much appreciated. My appt is this afternoon. I'm clinging on to the fact that it was 6 weeks before they sent the results. My thinking is that if it was something more sinister it would've been quicker.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Had loop treatment, burnt them away. Not nice smelling your own burning flesh but not as bad as I thought. He reckons CIN 2 or 3.

Oh, I just got abnormal results too.. They said in my first test it was a positive for exposure to HPV but no abnormal cells but now 4 months later, it's positive for abnormal cellular activity... =( Kind of nervous because I have noticed a teeny tiny hard bump near the opening of my cervix but they said there was no sign of warts at my last exam so I don't think its that..

They said because I haven't had kids yet, etc and its nothing extremely dire that it's best to wait 6 months... I don't know if certain procedures effect your fertility or why they want to wait.. I'm so confused.

And I'm 22. I've only ever been with my current OH and only ever will be with him (hopefully) so the vaccine seemed pointless to me. Was I ever wrong, bah... well too late. =( I just hope its nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->