• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pcos treatments?

SneakyTurtle

Reaction score
I asked this on another site but can never seem to get answers to my questions so thought I'd try to find a different (and hopefully better) one!

Sorry but this is probably going to be a LONG post!

I was diagnosed with pcos in January, I always thought i had it but didnt have insurance so never really went to the DR. Back in January I finally went to the OBGYN and she came in the room and said "I see you marked the box for irregular periods and you have facial hair (SO embarrassing!) so I'm going to say you have PCOS". So the did bloodwork and emailed me back and said everything seemed normal, meaning it probably wasn't anything else and was "most likely" pcos. And that's where the testing ended. So I had another appointment and she wanted to put me on BC, even though she knows we have been TTC (trying to conceive) for almost a year. I refused BC and she scolded me and said that is the "best treatment" for PCOS. In the end she decided to put me on Provera 10mg for 10 days a month. I don't ovulate so I asked her about that and she said I have to go to the fertility clinic for anything to help with that, but unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover that and for just the most basic tests the first visit would cost $1500 so that wont be happening for a while.I know a lot of women with PCOS are given metformin and eventually given clomid for ovulation. My dr wouldn't even discuss clomid (she said talk to the fertility clinic!) and there was no mention of metformin or anything other than the Provera. She said "lose a lot of weight and you might ovulate" but that was the only advice she would give. I know I need to lose weight and I am working on it (down about 10 lbs i think!) But in the mean time I would like to be given the best treatment I deserve.

Ok LOL I feel like I'm rambling so to the point.... When you were diagnosed what kind of tests did your DR do? And then what was your treatment regimen?? I plan to switch to a new OB soon and would like to know what I should ask for/about when I go.

When I got my official dx I had some bloodwork and an ultrasound. I have nearly every symptom so didn't need to pursue any in-depth testing for my own sake.

I had already been on metformin for a year as my previous doctor pretty much looked at me and said it's pcos.

Fast forward a few years (dh lost his job so we didn't pursue treatment) and I got pregnant first cycle of metformin and Clomid.

Good luck, hopefully the new doctor is more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->