pencil grasp

alibaba24

Reaction score
my daughter was 5 in January and still has a really awkward pencil grasp she cannot seem to get comfy with it and still passes between her left and right hand. as a result she basically hates writing and colouring

I do try and guide her but she gets frustrated and I Dont want to give her a complex over it. I feel worried that shes 5 and still struggling with this

Have you tried a pencil grip or different style of pencil? Some people swear that small golf pencils are easy on the hand. Other options are larger fatter pencils or triangular pencils/crayons. My DD has done best with the triangular pencils, but it's worth experimenting to find what your DD likes best. We've bought our items from Amazon. Also, get a book on tracing, not writing, to start with. It will be easier and teach her the mechanics of making the right strokes.

I would t be worried about a lack of pencil grip until much later than 5. It's quite natural to struggle with it at this age.

she has triangular pencils . she used what is apparently called a palmers grip where the pencil is underneath her hand. everything i have read online says she should be taught the correct way "before it becomes a problem" and should have it mastered at this age

shes never been into writing or colouring and iv never wanted to force it on her so shes not had alot of practice. she knows how to write her name etc but its the fact her grip is so awkward and light it makes for big messy letters. I understand she wont have neat writing at this point but oh i duno so worried about her starting school :(

I know a lot of other countries wouldn't expect a pencil grip until maybe 7 years. If I'm honest I'd rather they let children develop their own comfortable grip. I know many people who don't use pencil grips yet their writing is best and formed properly.

As she isn't wanting to do loads of writing/colouring I wouldn't be overly worried. Esther hadn't even 100% decided on which hand she wanted to use when she started school and now has developed a good grip-her writing is very big though as her motor skills just aren't there yet.

she also swaps between her hands when it comes to writing. for things like eating etc she uses her right hand and for everything really but clearly she is not comfortable holding a pencil yet. I am not even sure If im a great example to her because I always end up with one sore finger when i write for any length of time

She sounds very much like Esther was so I'd say she just isn't ready yet

there is some things she just isnt interested in. when i try encourage her she says its too hard

I know a lot of other countries wouldn't expect a pencil grip until maybe 7 years.
That country ain't the US. It's scary here how much they expect from kids in kindergarten. (5 year olds)

My DD was still gripping her pencil/crayon with a palmer grip when she turned 4. The preschool hadn't really done much about it because she was in a 3 year old class. In the pre-k class they do teach the kids a proper pencil grip.

Since the preschool wasn't really teaching her the correct grip this year. I started after her birthday. I looked up a video to show her on the correct tripod grip. We started very slowly with only a few minutes a day using the pencil correctly. Also, I bought a book of tracing rather than working straight on letters. So I didn't have to keep buying books, I made copes at work of the best pages. :blush: We bought this and only worked on the simple pages for a couple of weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/Tracing-Trai...8&qid=1430187352&sr=8-3&keywords=tracing+book

My DS is the same. He is about to turn 4 and starts school in September. He doesn't have a clearly dominant hand yet and his pencil grip is really weak. I'm worried about the demands school will place on him as I just don't feel he's ready.

Cattia - they won't place any unreasonable pressure on him, or rather they shouldn't. You will be amazed at how much he changes in the next few months. But if he isn't ready to write with a pencil grip then they won't force him.
Esther does lots of letter formation using things like sand and paint as her grip just isn't ready but they still want to teach her the formation of the letters.

Thank you Rach. He actually does like drawing and colouring, he just struggles to control his pen so hopefully they will have some exercises like the ones you are describing that will help him. Since having DD I seem to be in a spin about everything and am constantly worrying, hopefully he will adapt ok to school and I'm sure they must have a lot of experience dealing with hyperactive little boys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->