photos for homebirth help

MadamRose

Mummy to 3 and WTT for #4
Reaction score
I had my daughter as a hospital water birth. With my mum and DH there so my mum was able to get some wonderful pictures. However for many reasons including knowing my family wont agree with me going for a home birth we are not telling them until after baby is born. But this means i have no second person to be able to get the amazing pictures like i have with my dd. Any ideas. I'm in the UK

Right I will sound so dumb now. But what's a doula I've heard of them but unsure what they do and do they have them in uk

Right I will sound so dumb now. But what's a doula I've heard of them but unsure what they do and do they have them in uk

A doula is a non-medical birth attendant. She's primarily there to offer moral support, suggestions about comfort, another pair of hands, etc. They provide coaching and comfort, but tend not to do any of the medical stuff (checking heart rates, cutting cords, catching baby, stuff like that).

Oftentimes for home births, they're happy to take pictures and do whatever other stuff needs doing. At a hospital they will, too, but in a hospital situation they're primarily there to stand up for mom and help her wishes be respected with regards to birth plans and the like. :)

As fionar said, doulas are there for support... but in my experience they will not speak on your behalf in hospital... rather they will ensure you are aware of any activities that do not fall within your birth plan and will inform you so that you (or your partner) can speak up.

And yes, they most certainly can be found in the UK! :)

As fionar said, doulas are there for support... but in my experience they will not speak on your behalf in hospital... rather they will ensure you are aware of any activities that do not fall within your birth plan and will inform you so that you (or your partner) can speak up.

And yes, they most certainly can be found in the UK! :)

Some of them will, I think it depends where you are. My mom is a doula, and she does speak on her clients' behalf on occasion (ie: you say "I don't want them to offer me drugs, I will ask for them if I want them", she will make sure hospital staff know not to offer medication). She won't answer medical questions for them, but she makes sure birth plan wishes and such are being respected.

I'm trained as a doula, although not working as one just yet. But here's a good explanation https://www.nurturingbirth.co.uk/whatdoesadd.html

You can search for a doula through that site and also Doula UK. They both have Facebook pages as well and are happy to answer all sorts of questions. :)

My partner took some pics, my dd who was almost 4yo took some pics (amazing ones and ones we would never have taken - lots of the placenta) and we also set up a video camera on a tripod in the corner of the room and left it running. We all forgot about it entirely - because we forgot about it at times there were people standing in the way blocking the filming but there was plenty that was good. There are also professional birth photographers but that would be expensive.

Birth photographer? they are out there, generally start with people that do maternity/newborn photos, they will be the ones likely to do birth photography as well. I'm having one at mine and can't wait!

id look around local photographers idependant ones not studios and see if any offer or ask someone who does newborn shoots if they would consider doing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->