PICA disorder

bubbles

1DS, 1DD & preggo
Reaction score
Anyone have experience of this? Concerns have been raised recently about my son having ASD, doing a bit of reading this keeps popping up and its sounding familiar. He's always chewed things like paper, foam, wax crayons but seems to prefer wood, Ithought he'd grow out of it and when it didn't happen I just accepted it as one of his quirks. It'd be good to hear of others experiences

I know this will sound strange but they have special chew sticks for children with autism who like things in there mouth. It can be a sensory issue. If you can get him to chew on something like that it will solve the short term solution.

People with PICA normally have other issues like autism as you mentioned. Does your child display any other indication?

Does he chew on things or actually eat them? It is common with kiddos who have sensory issues to chew on things but less common for them to actually consume the non-food material. My son is a big chewer - he prefers metal objects though, so I bought some chew-friendly items that he can have. There are specific bracelets and necklaces made for kids who chew. My son actually puts things in his mouth more now at 3 than he did under 2.

He will actually consume the stuff, I've provided him with cloths in the past but he pulls the thread out and eats it. He does display other indications of autism, he's never been into playing with others he'd rather just be on his own stacking or lining things, he doesn't respond to being called, sudden loud noises really freak him out, conversations are impossible.... There is quite a bit that indicates it, we have always put it down to just being him, even joking about him being ignorant and getting it from hubbys side of the family.

Either way I think it would be good talking to your doctor or health visitor if in the UK. I had an excellent one who knew something wasn't right so referred me to every possibly person under the son. The sooner you get it in writing the sooner you can start helping him being the best he can be. Sorry that this isn't what you want to hear right now and you are probably frustrated and thinking why me, but there are lots of positives to. You still have a lovely son regardless of what additional needs he has, which makes him that little bit more special.

TBH I've come to terms with the concerns pretty well. They were raised by the HV this week but it had been mentioned previously by my sister who has worked with children of a similar age on the spectrum, so not a huge shock. He's had a couple of unprovoked violent outbursts at nursery which he started in September too, which has refreshed concerns within the family because its so unlike him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->