picking own clothes

alibaba24

Reaction score
So my daughter is just turned 5 a couple months ago and she hasnt really shown any interest in picking her own clothes.

when I take her shopping and pick out clothing and ask if its nice she will just say " mmm hmmm" to be honest she couldnt care less

likewise in the mornings when im getting her clothes out the drawer she expressed no interest in what im picking for her to wear. I honestly think she would wear anything. apart from pj's obviously i know she wouldnt want to go out with them on lol.

im reading everywhere about little girls from 3 up insisiting them wear certain things . matching their outfits and things.

am i alone with this? I dont ever recall me picking my own stuff at her age but things seem so different now :shrug:

I always just thought it would happen on its own and id pick her stuff until she expressed an interest

I wouldn't worry about that hun. If she's happy to wear whatever you pick out thats one less thing to cause arguments lol x

Yup don't worry about it. Poppy only just this month starting choosing her outfits. She still doesn't show any interest when we are shopping though.

Neither of mine couldn't care less what I pick out for them to wear. If we go clothes shopping, they pay little attention to what I pick up and don't really have much of an opinion even when I ask.

There has only been one occasion when Jacob picked out something, a shark onsie....

My eldest is 3.5 and has just started asking to wear certain things, it's not so much he wants to pick his clothes more that he has a few favourites (ok one favourite top) and always wants to wear it. He also likes the comfort of track suit bottoms so will always choose those.
I wouldn't worry if she doesn't want to pick things, people are going to start thinking my son only has one top soon!

It's a good thing! I don't think it's a developmental thing if everything else is on track, she just isn't interested. You've obviously not making her image obsessed, which is great! And TBH I'd count yourself lucky cos it's a nightmare when they start choosing and want to wear the ugliest things. Rory would look like a walking billboard for Disney tack if I allowed him to.

I wouldn't worry and enjoy the fact you can choose her clothes.
My little girl isn't 3 yet and every day chooses what she wants to wear...a meltdown ensues if I try to dissuade her lol! She generally loves her jogging bottoms and anything peppa pig related!
I'm not worried about her being image concious as my mum said I was the same if not worse (changing outfits up to 6 times per day) and I'm certainly not bothered about clothes now lol!

My DS had a phase at 3.5 where he wanted to pick his clothes out but then he went back to not really caring. He will take a dislike to some clothes or shoes and then I have no hope of getting him to wear them but generally he couldn't care less what clothes I get out for him in the morning.

I wish Lucas was like this :wacko: He's REALLY fussy when it comes to clothes. I mean he's really into his image anyway and spends time in the morning making his hair sit right :dohh:
He won't pick out his own clothes but he'll refuse to wear things if they're not "cool" enough, and I have to run everything by him before I buy them too. I miss the days when he'd show no interest!

If she isn't bothered then I wouldn't be. One less argument to have with her! My two don't really care what they are wearing, which I am glad about as I like to have them matching etc. If we're in the shop together or I have clothes delivered I ask them if they like and if not then I'd return.

Thanks guys I guess it is not all bad. she has asked me a couple times for an elsa dress when it comes on the TV.

Today she had a party i asked her what she wanted. she looked at her wardrobe and said emmmmm.... emmmmmmmm. eventually I picked a dress and said do you want to wear this. suprise suprise she just said yeah lol

I don't think my son has ever cared, he's 15. lol

My DD cares sometimes and other times not. She'll wear pretty much anything I give her. there's no, "I won't wear jeans, etc' But she does prefer pink, fluffy dresses, tutus and costumes. If she was allowed to she would pick a dress over anything else, but doesn't refuse pants if I tell her it's too cold for the dress.

thanks guys feel better about it now I know its not just mine

I wouldn't worry about it either. My daughter loves picking her own clothes and has done for years but I totally remember being a child and never having any interest in how I looked until I was at least 14-15. (I wish I had though because when I look at clothes my mom put me in as a kid, I cringe.) I couldn't care less at the time though. :p

I wouldn't be worried about it. Neither of mine have ever told me when shopping which clothes they want. I buy all their stuff with no input from them. I deliberately don't chose items that have characters on them unless they are genuinely nice clothes. This means that all the clothes they have I am happy for them to wear at any point.
Obviously my eldest gets himself dressed in his own now-has done for a few years.
Esther is just starting to choose her own clothes now.

It's definitely nothing to worry about :)
My daughter nor my son pick out clothes to buy, mainly because I do it online or go when they're not around. I'm sure in years to come they'll be nagging me for certain items of clothing so I'll save the stress of that until then!
My daughter is almost five and she'll occasionally say 'Can I wear the top/dress etc with so and so on' and if it's appropriate for the occasion/weather then I'll let her but most of the time I just lay out their outfits in the morning and both of them are happy to wear them

Thanks everyone I guess were all different in fact as a pp mentioned i really didnt care what i wore myself until i was a teen

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->