Pine mouth

curiousowl

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of this?! https://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/03/15/148682058/cause-of-foul-pine-nut-taste-befuddles-scientists Apparently certain pine nuts can cause a bitter aftertaste for days afterwards. I think I have it. I made a pasta with pine nuts on Monday for dinner and Tuesday night I started having a bitter, metallic taste in my mouth anytime I'm not actively eating. Still going strong. Weird thing is my DH ate the same pasta and hasn't had any problem but from what I read that doesn't seem too uncommon. Just wanted to share since I had never heard of this before and I was starting to get worried!

Yes!!!! i had it once but i eat toasted pine nuts on my pasta dishes probably once a week! And my OH had the same nuts as me..
I think it faded about a week after it started. hopefully it fades soon.

I think my OH though i was mental when i had it!!

I've stopped buying pine nuts because of this, although I've never had it; read that it's something to do with the pine nuts that come from China, but not entirely sure about how much truth is behind that. We bought some pesto the other day, and I remember OH throwing it out after having a bit for lunch because he said it left a horrible, metallic aftertaste in his mouth - I assume it was related to pine mouth.

Oh how odd, I've never heard of it. We eat pine nuts quite a lot and a couple of months ago I did have a metallic taste in my mouth that lasted about a week. I thought I was preggo :lol:

I thought I was preggo :lol:

Me too!! Despite the fact that I'm on the pill :haha:

I think my OH though i was mental when i had it!!

My DH also thought that I was crazy, for sure! Now I'm going to tell him I know of other people besides me!

I think I'm going to bin the rest of the bag of nuts, which is disappointing, since it was large and brand new and those things aren't cheap but it's just finally starting to go away tonight. Don't want to risk it again. I saw people on the internet suggesting it might be a good weight loss strategy but it just made me want to eat everything to try and get rid of the horrible taste! So gross. The recipe I made says you can substitute walnuts so that's what I'm doing now. Definitely off pine nuts for a while! :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->