Pit bull fatally mauls 3-month-old baby in Texas

Reaction score
This was on the news this morning. I see these sorts of headlines regarding pit bulls mauling babies a lot. In almost every story the family claims that their family pit bull was the nicest pit bull ever and never had showed any sign of aggression before. There is a huge debate about pit bulls, how safe they are, and whether they're genetically more aggressive than other dogs.

What are your thoughts?

I don't think any animal can be said to be 100% safe around babies and small children unless it's a fish in a bowl.

It is just not worth it. IMHO

I don't think any animal can be said to be 100% safe around babies and small children unless it's a fish in a bowl.

It is just not worth it. IMHO

I agree. We have a cat and he and my baby are NEVER alone together. You just don't know.

This is so, so sad :cry:

As far as pitbulls go, I know that people do train them to be aggressive (we watched a neighbor do this, using a poor cat as bait, it was horrible). I would think that they are born with a personality like any other dog and can be nice and sweet until taught to be otherwise. But I don't know for sure? So I tend to believe the people that he wasn't aggressive until one day he snapped.

My kitty is naturally aggressive and has been on meds and pheremone releasers since he was 4 months old :dohh:.

Do you guys think that some pet breeds are more innately aggressive than others?

I don't know - I think any animal will attack when it feels threatened.....unless it's my cat, then he will go hide in the litter box, lol

My huskies are the sweetest ever. But I always supervise them with LO just as I did when SS was younger. Now that SS is older and understands how to treat animals I don't worry as much. If the dogs don't want to be petted, they just go to another room.

I do think breeds just like different species have more aggressive traits. You rarely hear about a golden retriever or lab attacking a child. In fact I don't think I've ever heard of it. And I would guess that they are more common in kids homes.

I work at a zoo and have a lot of animal care staff friends who are also dog trainers and animal rescue workers. ALL of them very passionately state that it is the owner, not the breed, that creates situations like this.
I think you need to know and understand the breed characteristics and potentials of your animal and use that knowledge in understanding your pet. That means everything from meeting their daily exercise and socialization needs to picking appropriate obedience training techniques.
And I agree that this applies to pretty much any animal.

Labradors are the most common biters but obviously it's not what the media wants us to panic about so its not on the news. Pitbull/staff are the "in" dangerous dog atm, I think in Yeh 80s it was alsations.

That said of course some dogs are more violent, it's in their blood. The same as small terrier dogs are more likely to chase rabbits and hunt because we spent so long breeding them into those skills.

I don't like big dogs like Pitbull (illegal in my country though), they are more likely to snap and when they do you don't stand a chance. I have a Labrador because in general they are a good family dog, and king Charles because they are friendly and lap dogs so I do think a lot of the owners of Pitbull type dogs do so because of what sort of dog it is and the image you get with it.

A guy down the road from me has a mastiff and a similar cross breed and honestly I really font like them they make me nervous but I think that's because I know if they did attack a child that kid would not stand a chance, especially them being a pack now.

Any dog can snap but I'm afraid I do think with certain breeds its more likely and far more likely to be serious.

:cry::cry: What a terrible story, my heart goes out to the family.

For me it is the fact that out of most dogs the Pitts are the ones who do the most damage and it is really sad that these dogs are bought for reasons of fighting and making money. I am from New York and I can't tell you how many Pitt rings are around, these poor animals suffer so much at the hands of their owners. They are put through multiple exercises, starved and chained up and fought till one dies and usually if the looser does not die in the ring they die at their owners hands. I do feel most have gotten a really bad name and I think with the right owners these animals make wonderful pets. Would I trust this animal near kids no but that is cause what has been programmed in my head, all you see of these animals is the negativity, but they are like this cause of humans not because of their original traits . I would not trust ANY dog near kids I don't care what breed they are. In New York it is not illegal to own a Pitt, there should be rules though for owning one and I think in Detroit there are.It wont stop the Pitt rings, cause they bring in money for the gangs and the drug dealers and the lowlives that do this. After the rings are discovered the Pitts are automatically put down, they just can't be around other animals or people, but when they are caught you will notice theses animals actually warm right up to the officers and wag their tail, it is only towards the other animals they get really aggressive, it is really sad, they didn't ask for this, they deserve a good home and a decent life, instead their lives are already picked for them before they reach adulthood. I am on the fence with this one, I do love the breed but I would never own one or trust one, I feel like a horrible person saying that, but it is the truth. But like I said I do feel with the right owners and responsible owners these dogs can become great companions .. :flower:

I agree with the pp that said no animal is safe to be alone with young kids unsupervised, I was attacked by an Alsatian when I was around 3/4 years old and was nearly blinded, I still have small scars on my face from it so I'm not the most unbiased person around as I'm pretty much scared of all dogs now but I do think some breeds are more aggressive then others depending on what they are bred for and how they are trained, it comes to down to the owner to use common sense because you can't depend on your animal to do the reasoning for you.

I think some dogs are more naturally agressive than others but regardless a dog shouldn't be left with a baby or child :shrug: I think cats are slightly different as I've never heard a cat mauling a baby..

I wouldn't get a pitbull and I wouldn't buy a staffy either as it just encourages people to keep breeding them. Theres enough staffys in the world as it is without people mating them to make money from puppies! Actually that goes for any non pedigree dog or cat.

Excellent point, Blah. Crossbreeds are so much healthier genetically! And so few people realize that the breeding industries are rife with really dodgy practises.

Another thing I do not agree with are "dangerous breed laws" where any dog determined to be a pitbull is required to wear a muzzle while outside of its home. Or banning a breed altogether.
That is totally tarring all dogs and owners with the same brush and unfairly persecuting those who are doing a great job of caring for their pitbull.

60-year-old grandmother killed by family pit bull

This is a headline on the news today.

Pit bulls are deemed a vicious animal in my city and must be muzzled when out, or they are subject to a $500 fine. My opinion is, I believe its the owner AND the breed. My friend had a roti....and he was vicious. She had experts, training for him...she literally spent hundreds...nothing could change his behaviour. She had to give him away after he bit two people.

my good friend had a roti, loved it like a kid, took it to proper training classes etc & randomly the dog bit her brother (not badly). she got the dog put down but still puts up loads of deed not breed things on fb & has a staffy now.

Pit bulls are deemed a vicious animal in my city and must be muzzled when out, or they are subject to a $500 fine. My opinion is, I believe its the owner AND the breed. My friend had a roti....and he was vicious. She had experts, training for him...she literally spent hundreds...nothing could change his behaviour. She had to give him away after he bit two people.

how come she gave away a vicious animal who bit twice?

how come she gave away a vicious animal who bit twice?

Yeah, I'd have that dog put down :wacko:

I don't know for sure, but I think she gave it to someone who had a large property and no kids, and knew of his disposition. Putting this dog down would be like putting her baby down. She loved him. Her and I dont hang much anymore, but, I know the last thing she would have done is put he dog down.

This was on the news this morning. I see these sorts of headlines regarding pit bulls mauling babies a lot. In almost every story the family claims that their family pit bull was the nicest pit bull ever and never had showed any sign of aggression before. There is a huge debate about pit bulls, how safe they are, and whether they're genetically more aggressive than other dogs.

What are your thoughts?

I adore pits. They are wonderful animals, if you know how to actually train them. The reason you see those headlines, is because it's a hot button topic that gets ratings, and rating equal money. When 101 dalmatians came out, everyone wanted one. The reality is that they are a very aggressive dog as well, but you don't hear about it.

Any dog is capable of hurting someone. All dogs need to be trained. The smaller the dog, the less likely it is that you will hear about it. The meanest dogs I've ever met have been less than 10lbs full grown. Mean mean little buggers, but because when they bite it doesn't cause a lot of damage (in most cases), people ignore it. When a pit bits, or any hard mouth dog for that matter, bites someone, it does cause damage. There are ways to lessen the potential for damage, though few people know that, and even fewer bother.

But how come you never hear about golden retrievers attacking and killing people? I mean, I'm sure there's a story or two out there, but there's probably 100 pit bull stories to every golden retriever story.

I was attacked by a pit bull when I was 11. It jumped on me, grabbed and ripped and tore at my sleeve (thankfully I was wearing a huuuge puffy winter coat). The owner was luckily right there and able to pull the dog off. I was covered in bruises on my arm and I am so glad they put that dog down and I remember wishing it would rot in hell. I was charged by loose pit bulls on 2 separate occasions this last year WHILE I was pregnant. Luckily the owner was able to corral them back up on one occasion and the second occasion I was able to scare it off by screaming and hollering (and probably crying) at it. I start tearing up just thinking about the potential damage they could have done.

I've never been charged at by a golden retriever. Or a pug. Or a lab. Or a beagle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->