Placenta encapsulation?

MrS. MaBrEy

Homeschool mom of 2
Reaction score
before I ask this, please, please do not be mean if you don't agree with this. There is no need to be nasty to each other! :flower:

Is anyone else considering doing placenta encapsulation or has done it in the past? My doula just got certified to encapsulate and after reading the benefits of it I can't think of a reason to say no. I wouldn't go as far as to do the cook and eat method but with the capsules it won't feel that way. I have heard amazing things about combating PPD and baby blues and decreased healing time after birth etc. just wondering if anyone else has thought about it! :thumbup:

I'm seriously considering this - it makes sense to me that there are good nutrients/useful hormones in the placenta and I like the idea of it helping with breast milk production, PND etc.

I could never just cook and eat it (far too squeamish!) but the tablets would make it really easy to take over the first few weeks.

However, I have 2 barriers - first is the cost as it is ~£250 here which is a lot of money for something that might not make much (or any) measurable difference.

Secondly my hubbie thinks the whole idea is a bit crazy and really doesn't understand why I would bother. He doesn't think there's anything in there that I can't get from my diet or that my body won't produce anyway.

So at the moment I'm erring towards not getting it done - but if I have any post natal problems with this LO I will probably do the encapsulation next time as I would feel that there is more 'reason' to spend the money.

Let me know what you decide!

I do them for other people and will be doing my own when bub is born, I didn't encapsulate my last one so am looking forward to seeing the difference in post partum time this time around. ALL of the mums I have encapsulated for have told me of massive differences in how they felt/coped in the first few weeks post partum compared to previous children.

It's a perfectly balanced, made just for you, by you, herbal supplement that can ONLY help, all the hormones/chemicals in it are undeniable.

Even if you can't encapsulate, perhaps look into getting our doula to make up a smoothie for you in the hours post birth, you can cut a 2cm chunk off and throw it in a blender with whatever smoothie receipe you want (avoid anything with dairy in it though) and even pre cut a couple of small chunks and put them in the freezer to make smoothies in the following couple of days.

I had a placenta smoothie just after birth and also had mine encapsulated. I'd highly recommend it and will definitely do it again next time as well. It's supposed to help with milk supply, energy levels and mood. I'm not so sure it did much for my supply because my daughter had a lot of latch issues early on so my supply took a real hit and never really recovered well as a result. But I think that's something that couldn't really be avoided no matter what natural supplements I was taking. But I think it made a massive difference in my mood and energy levels. I coped really well with the exhaustion and lack of sleep in the early weeks. I also didn't have any noticeable lasting baby blues or depression. I did start to feel a little depressed and anxious around day 4 pp but then my placenta pills arrived and I started them on day 5 and felt great after that. I really just feel like I coped well with those first few weeks and I think the placenta pills played a big part in that. So yes, I'd definitely recommend it. If you can afford to have someone do it for you, definitely do that. There is no way I would have wanted to be worrying about my placenta in those first few days.

My doula included my encapsulation in her fee which was very reasonable to begin with. I am feeling much more confident about doing it. I think I am going to keep it between me, my doula, and my husband (and BNB of course) that I'm doing it though. I mentioned the encapsulation to one of my friends here and she was so disgusted that I didn't tell her we planned to go for it. :blush: I would rather avoid negativity if I can. My husband still thinks it is a little crazy...but he isn't the one taking it so he said to do what I wanted and not worry about what he thinks. :)

I didnt know this was even an option, very interesting! I will have to have a read up :)

ive thought about this, and would do it if it the cost was a bit more reasonable, £200+ is particularly expensive, especially when youve got so much to pay for with a brand new baby anyway!
I simply dont think i would be able to stomach a smoothie or cooking it which is a shame as id love the see the difference but i just cant justify it.

I was planning to do it, but everyone local charges about $200 and I'm having a really hard time justifying that cost when I didn't have any trouble post-partum with my son. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->