Playing outside

Rockell8788

Reaction score
What age do you think is appropriate to allow a child to play outside without an adult present?
Dd is almost 5 and there are children a few months old playing outside without their parents and I feel that's a little young, but then I'm not sure what age is ok to let her play out alone.

It depends on your neighbourhood. In our old house there were kids of four running around without their parents (but with their older brothers and sisters), but we lived in a little cul de sac in a close, so no traffic really and the houses were positioned so you could always see what was going on if you looked out of your window.

But now I live on a road and the kids who 'play out' are all teenagers.

I wouldn't yet. The road we live on is fairly quiet, apart from rush hour, and several of the children do play out - i would say that most of them are 8+
At the moment i prefer Daniel to play out in our back garden - i'm quite happy to let him out on his own there.
We also allow him to ride his bike on the pavement if we are working in the front garden.

my daughter started playing out when she was 6 and i widened her boundaries when she turned 7.
we live near a busy road, but my daughter is sensible and i want her to have a childhood where she can play and learn outside with friends independently.

the kids ages out playing in my area range from 4-10, i dont ever see teenagers 'playing out'

children wont learn to function without and adult if there are always adults their supervising imo, and i dont think there is a magic age that suddenly makes it okay for children to play out unsupervised, it depends on your child's maturity and safety awareness and what you are comfortable with. x

I think it partly depends on the child and the environment but for me under 10 would be too young, you never know who's out there and even the most mature 5/6/7 year old would be no match physically or emotionally for a predator:nope:

From school age -(6-7 years) In Germany kids walk to school (or take the bus if they live outside the town)
and they do this alone or in groups and this is also the age where you can let them go to the next playground or whatever.

Thanks ladies, I think once she's around 7 I'll be letting play out alone, she very mature for her age but just feel 4 is a little young, ok if there are older siblings tho. We live in a flat and have a lovely outside large communal court yard but it's not secure.

Id say about 7 it all depends on your neighbourhood though.

It depends -- if it is an enclosed secure area, then from 5+, but if it is out on the street (on bike, scooter), much older 10+....In my neighbourhood, some parents let their little ones (and I mean, 3+) play outside in front (on the street) and it makes me very uncomfortable....

Also, make sure that your LO understands about traffic (the old safe street code), etc., and what to do in an emergency, e.g. falls off bike versus cars........

best wishes

My little brother's 7 and our mum said she wouldn't let him play outside on the street by himself/with friends until he turned at least 9 or 10 years old. We do live on quite a busy road though, and the oldest children i've seen out are 10+.
Personally i would be the same, though it obviously depends on the area! if we lived more rurally and my children were mature enough, i'd probably consider 6+ x

my daughter is 10 and has just started playing out with friends on her own, all her friends are this age too and have just started playing out also, we live in a quiet village

It's very dependant on where you live and also the children themselves :flow:

Around here people let kids of 3 play out, it's a quiet area but cars still fly past despite the speed limit. My 2 are 8 and 6 and they're allowed to go round to their friends which is round the block, and I can see them in the friends garden. They aren't just allowed to just go anywhere I have to know where they are and they know when to come back (they both have watches and can tell time)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->