Please Help 6 YO DD stealing and telling lies

Ginaerhol

Mummy of 3 princesses :D
Reaction score
This has been going on for a while now but i really cant take it anymore i am due a baby any day and she is amking mine and my husbands life hell. Not a day goes by where she doesnt steal something from sweets to makeup and jewellery. When she gets caught she lies point blank to your face and will not admit it even if she has been caught red handed!! I dont know what to do anymore.

The main daily occurence is with sweets chocolate crisps or any food that she can get her hands on in the fridge. I have tried taking things she values away from her as a punishment locking the stuff up sending her to her room/naughty step shouting screaming grounding her. NOTHING works she does it EVERY DAY. Please someone help

Maybe she's fighting out for attention? she might just need some one on one time with you :flower: have you talked to her teachers about this? is she acting out at school?

i don't discipline my children for telling the truth, therefore they don't lie. if they lie, they get into more trouble, so it's worth it to tel the truth. now the word 'steal', to me, implies she takes food from stores, and hides it??? or are you talking about sneaking a treat in the house? honestly, kids do that...it's normal. i would take the sweets out of the house if you don't want her to sneak some. as far as lying...i would look at how you handle it...and see if it's rooted there. the number one reason why kids lie is to stay out of trouble...and your punishments are pretty harsh. i f she is stealing from stores...i would get her some counselling.

i don't discipline my children for telling the truth, therefore they don't lie.

Ditto this. Even though Niamh is only 3, if she does something bad but tells the truth then I will talk to her. If she lies then she gets a punishment.

In your position I would stop bringing the food into the house and start inuring the bad behaviour. If she lies to your face about something I would put her on a time-out then explain calmly to her why lying isn't acceptable. I wouldn't raise your voice as it only shows children you have a lack of control over the situation.

As for why she is doing it, it sounds like she is needing some attention. With a new baby coming along soon she doesn't want to be left out and doesn't want to be forgotten about. To a child, even negative attention is a positive thing as even when you are shouting at her you are paying her attention.

I would make a point of once a week doing something nice with just her. I'm sure you'll see a change in her behaviour soon.

I would remove all chocolate and sweet retreats from the house, or somewhere high up whe she can't get it.
If she steals something take it from her and put it back, but no punishment, don't even talk about it, just ignore it totally so she gets no attention from that behaviour.
Try a reward chart? Get her involved with the baby stuff if she is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->