Please help: chorionic villus sample test

lady3

Reaction score
My 12 week scan and blood test has come back as having a higher probability of trisomy 13. I've been offered a CVS (Chorionic Villus Sample) test next week to further explore and either diagnose or rule it out. Has anyone had one of these? I'm looking to hear some people's experiences of them before I do it. Thanks so much.

I am going through something similar. CVS tests the placenta while the amnio tests the Baby's DNA. I would opt for the amnio over the CVS.

Im so sorry you are going through this stressful time. We had a distressing scan earlier in the year and took the option of a CVS. We wanted to get results as quickly as possible to allow us time to make decisions / get support if required.
The CVS carries a slightly higher chance of miscarriage as the needle takes tissue from the placenta (2% miscarriage risk as opposed to 1% risk with amnio).
The CVS initially gives results for Downs, Patau or Edwards. They also check for other, more rare, chromosome abnormailties but they can take longer (I was told up to 2 weeks).
The procedure itself is uncomfortable but is over quickly. Mine took about 45 seconds. Firstly I was given a very detailed scan and they checked the position of the placenta. They wont do it if the needle will be near baby or your bladder etc. They will scan you during the insertion of the needle to ensure it gets tissue from the placenta. I didnt watch, and neither could my OH. Once it was over I had some strong cramping. I took painkillers with me to take afterwards. They also took a blood sample to distinguish mine from baby's. They will scan after the procedure to ensure baby isnt distressed.
I also took some fizzy juice as I felt quite sick and shaky afterwards but I think that was more to do with the stress and adrenaline. I was told to rest for 24 hours afterwards and avoid lifting etc to reduce risk of miscarriage. I felt a bit sore but similar to period pains and it eased quickly over the first day.
I got my results back a little over 48 hours later by phone.
Best of luck with whatever decision you make. I hope your lo is fine. Big hugs x

Thanks so much for your help ladies. I didn't realise to bring pain medication to it- thanks for that tip.

I will make my final decision tomorrow when I'm in the appointment if I want to get it done or not. I'm much more nervous than I would have thought! I think it's because I have no idea who will be doing the test.

I'm just looking forward to this week being over!

If you have any other questions please ask. Its such a horrible experience and the anxiety over the tests and possibilities is truly awful. I found it so stressful. Its also such an isolating experience as you only ever hear of people going for 12 week scans and all being well. I hope if you do go for the CVS its quick and as stress free as possible. Be gentle wih yourself if you do get it done
Take care x

So I ended up not getting it done :nope:

In talking with the consultant and getting some more information, my husband and I were just not 100% sure of the test. He did another quick scan to check the heart rate, which continued to be high but said that he didn't see anything else that looks suspicious. That put me at more ease with waiting as well. We will have a follow-up high-detailed scan in 4 weeks and possibly an amnio following on from that. Thanks so much again for your information and experience.

Wishing you the very best of luck over the coming weeks. Im glad there were no other indicators picked up during your scan. Take care of each other x

I had the amnio today. Not pleasant but glad it's done. <3

I had the amnio today. Not pleasant but glad it's done. <3

How are you feeling now? So sorry you had to go through that but I hope it gives you good results and clears your worries.

I'm hoping it does too...hopeful but realistic as my screening came back positive for Trisomy 18.

It wasn't pleasant but is over pretty quick. Glad its done.

I'll be thinking of you.

I'm hoping it does too...hopeful but realistic as my screening came back positive for Trisomy 18.

I'll be thinking of you.

Im sorry to hear you have had to go through such an unpleasant experience. Have they said how long you have to wait. The whole process is gruelling. At a time when you want to stay as stress free as possible. Big hugs xx

I'll be thinking of you.

Of course. I remember your other post. Lots of hugs to you and a gentle journey onwards, no matter the results.

FISH results are in. Confirmed for Trisomy 18 :(

Oh Tag. I'm so very very sorry to hear about your results :hugs:

FIuSH results are in. Confirmed for Trisomy 18 :(

Im so very sorry. Life is very unfair at times. You may not want to contact them now, but the charity ARC is a wonderful support. Their forum is full of extremely compassionate people. Please be kind to yourself and surround yourself with people you love xx

Just thinking of you Tag. How are you and your other half doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->