Please help me with a baking dilemma! What do I do now?

RedRose

New mum :)
Reaction score
So I made a huge batch of Christmas biscuit dough, which is really nice, but the first batch of biscuits have gone rock solid once cooled, even though I cooked them for much less time than the recipe said.

For the remaining dough, what do I need to do to make sure the biscuits aren't rock solid? Do I:

1) Cook it for even less
2) Add more fat (butter?)
3) Add another liquid (milk?)
4) Add more flour?

Please help, I have no idea! If the next lot turn out crap then I've wasted my whole afternoon and loads of ingredients :lol:

Id say adding more flour would make them harder still, so id say add more butter as that tends to soften things up and become more 'flakey' IYSWIM.

hmm not sure; cooking on a lower temperature can help? I cook a lot of stuff out of American cookbooks; and the temperature given is usually wrong-meaning that stuff was turning out burnt, dry or too hard. When I altered the temperature it was fine. 0I wasn't sure why but I read on a blog of an American over here that the plain and SR flour over here is made from different types of wheat than it is over there; so has different properties maybe it is a similar problem? xx

Yeah I thought that lellow, but then I couldn't remember if adding more fat would make it hotter and burn more if that makes sense. Pretty sure you are right though and will try more butter.

Summer rain, it's not an american recipe but I know what you mean. I did them at 165 for 12 mins.

Think I will cut them a little thicker next time and cook at 160 for like 5 mins :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->