Please Keep Southern Albertans in Your Thoughts PICTURES ADDED OF FLOODING

NicoleLJ

Mom to 6 beautiful Kids
Reaction score
Southern Alberta is experiencing massive flooding in many areas. My city is preparing for the worst flood that has hit here in a very long time. Over 6000 cubic feet per second is what they are reporting is being expected. Over 10,000 people have been evacuated so far and more could be expected. We have opened up our home to help families in need during the evacuation and many others are as well. We are not at risk of flooding which is why we are helping with space. So please keep everyone who is going through this in your thoughts many families have lost their homes completely in some areas.

I live in lethbridge. Im not in the evacuation zone, fortunately, but i have family in calgary. Its just devastating. My thoughts are with us all:) where are you located?

We are in Medicine Hat where it is suppose to crest now on Monday morning. So many of been displaced. I worry for those that will have homes that end up condemned.

Thats awful:-( i think its this afternoon before we know whats happenning with the old man river. I think theyre expecting some of our bridges to be washed out, but we shall see. For now we are safe and sound at home, i hope it stays that way:)

I'm in Montreal, QC, and have heard about the floods. Incidentally we are thinking of relocating to Calgary.

I hope that everyone stays safe during what must be a scary and devastating time xxx

We are fine, but huge thanks for your concern! :flower:
We're very close to the river, but much higher up the embankment. It is so strange to walk four blocks south and stand on the rim of the river valley and witness the destruction, then turn around and walk back to our house and nothing is out of the ordinary at all.
My workplaces are all riverside, so those have been hugely affected, but personally we have been immensely lucky overall. Many friends have been evacuated and the amount of clean-up will be staggering. But a tiny amount of human life lost when we consider the scope and scale of this one. Not to say that those families aren't devastated and my sympathies go out to those who lost loved ones, but just to think how many more could have been victims. :( Feeling very grateful, overall. One of those count your blessings moments, I think.

Here is the latest from Medicine Hat(Pictures to follow):
This just in from the City of Medicine Hat. -Poncho

2013 Flood Information Update
Posted Date: 6/23/2013 9:00 AM

Bridge closures include Scholten Hill and Industrial Avenue.

The Maple Ave. Bridge and Findlay Bridge will both be closed to the public as of 10:30 a.m. This includes both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

There is a reasonable possibility the TransCanada Highway Bridge will be closed at some point over the next 24 hours. We will do our best to provide 1-2 hours of notice before this occurs.

If the TransCanada Highway Bridge were to be closed, the City would be divided between north and south. All agencies and supporting departments are employing crews on both sides of the river to prepare for that possibility.

Priorities over the next few hours are to continue supporting the construction of berms in vulnerable areas and to support traffic and bridge initiatives.

The outdoor water restriction remains in place and includes Medicine Hat, Redcliff, Dunmore, Seven Persons, Veinerville, Desert Blume and the Westside Water Co-op. Bylaw will be enforcing the water restriction.

Residents are advised to remain away from bridges, waterways, banks and evacuated areas for their own safety. Rescue from the river may not be possible.

The Urgent Care Centre in Crescent Heights will be operational from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The Urgent Care Centre at the Medicine Hat College will be open 24 hours a day.

No further volunteers are required at this time. Potential volunteers are asked to await further instructions.
Echo Dale Park is closed. Kin Coulee Park is expected to be closed in the coming hours. All trails adjacent to rivers and creeks are closed.

Pictures from around Medicine Hat from the past 12 hours:
https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/Flood_zpsafc1fa96.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/Flood5_zps9745e02a.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/Flood2_zps56090183.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/Flood1_zps9fe1d3a7.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/Flood3_zps6e630ff7.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/Flood4_zps960a61cc.jpg

The sad thing is as of late last night 60-70% of people that were told to evacuate certain areas were refusing to evacuate. The city has stated that they have to leave now and that they are putting first responders at risk if they have to be rescued.

"City of Medicine Hat

Quick update on the overnight numbers.

At 23:00 the river was at 5,450 cubic metres/second
At midnight, the river was at 5,460 cubic metres/second
At 2 a.m. it was 5,400 cubic metres/second
At 5:15 a.m., it was 5,360 cubic metres/second
At 6:15 a.m., it was at 5,320 cubic metres/second

We believe the crest has occurred and we have seen the worst of the flooding"

So now it is just a matter of waiting for the waters to recede to see what the damages are. Dh and I are checking to see what we have to donate to families in need. There are already people gathering things for donations. I really love and admire our city and province. Really warms my heart to see how willing people have been to volunteer, donate and help their fellow citizens.

I hope not too much damage has happened and you are all safe :flower:

Glad to hear the water is receding and good on you for donating. I feel for the people who may have lost everything xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->