• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Please say I'm not the only one

molly27

Reaction score
Hi ladies my lil boy is 6 weeks old was born early at 37.5 but the doc thinks mayb he was only 35 as his oxygen dropped once when he was a few days old and they've done every test to find out why but still can't find anything. Anyway he's always been really slow at feeding the doc say he shud b taking 120ml every four hours now. He been taking 100 every three every for few weeks. Some feeds he'l take 120 ml in bout half hour then other feeds I'm having to keep at him to take the bottle and it can take an hour .he takes bout 60 in ten mins then I wind him and he's reluctant to let bottle back in. He's 8lb now but I'm so stressed trying to get feed into him. Thinking go giving him 60 every two hours. Anyone have baby that's extremely slow at feeding?

Me!! Me!!

My little one is absolutely TEDIOUS when it comes to feeding and it takes him forever to finish a bottle. He's meant to be on about 150ml 5 times a day but he wants feeding every 3 hours, and takes anywhere from 70ml - 120ml a time, though it usually evens out to about 100ml.. Very frustrating! He also is a nightmare for falling asleep at the bottle so we have to change him midway through a feed and undress him sometimes to keep him awake. :dohh:

I think so long as he's taking roughly the right amount he should be over 24 hours it should work out fine? 150ml x 5 in my case is 750ml over 24 hours and he usually ends up with about 700ml total over 24 hours so not too far out, it just ends up spaced between more feeds (which is annoying!).

Thankx for that my nerves are literally gone I'm so nervous at each feed incase he doesn't take it and hav to go back into hospital. Someday he takes 700 ml and other 680 like yesterday and today he having bad wind pains which is making it even worse to get food in. I switched to fast teeth as the others were so slow. I've been using the nuk bottles as that all that he seems to b able to manage but the teat are either 0-1 month or 6-18 so I'm having to use the faster one there's no in between

My guy is incredibly windy as well and suffers with it, I wonder if the slow feeding is connected somehow? :shrug:

We're still on the slow flow teats as I didn't think to change to the faster ones, maybe changing them will help. That's so frustrating that there's no in between for you though! I'm using Dr Browns bottles and there's 4 levels of teats with those. It's good the nuk bottles are anti-colic though.

Do you give infacol/gripe water etc for wind? I also found colief in the milk has been helping too.

I think 120ml is quite a lot at 6 weeks?

I just checked my logs and at 6 weeks he was taking 80 - 100ml every 3-4 hours.

He has never had weight loss issues (except at the start when I was breastfeeding) and always been on the same centile for weight.

I think what your LO is taking sounds absolutely fine and he WILL drink when hungry.

I don't know if you want to try this but can you try another bottle? The NUK bottles take ages to feed from and I think this could be a huge reason your LO is taking so long feeding. I bought one to try and used it once and binned it as it took my LO ages to finish the bottle and he was getting very frustrated.

100ml every 3hrs is MORE milk than 120ml every 4hrs. Per hour your doc is recommending 30ml but per hour your LO is drinking 33.33ml. There is no reason why you need to leave 4hrs between feeds if you are happy to do it more frequently. LO is still little (maybe littler than originally thought!) and no-one feels comfy with an extra full stomach. You are his Mum and if you feel his needs (and yours) are best met by smaller bottles more often then why not!

Sorry haven't been on in ages Thankx for answering . He 9 weeks now and stopped taking nuk so now on avent but he til takes ages and stil on 100-120 every four hours over 7 feeds . Got weighed last week and he was and half pound he really doesn't want anymore milk than what he's on at min. Mayb his little belly can't handle it yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->