polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid) + gestational diabetes?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
Last week I was hospitalised for 5 days due to excruciating pain in my left kidney, after a scan on my kidney I was diagnosed with a dilated left kidney tube :/ apparently this is because of all the extra weight I am carrying...

I have got polyhydramnios which means I have got too much fluid around the baby, the midwife has been telling me this for weeks but didn't actually tell me what it meant or that there was a name for it. I have also been diagnosed as being borderline gestational diabetic and am being treated as though I am diabetic because the baby is measuring a bit larger than he should be and also that my blood sugar levels are high.

It has been decided that I am going to be induced when I am 38 weeks because of the extra fluid around bubs... I was just wandering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I just feel like things haven't been explained to me properly which has lead to me researching on google and then scaring myself half to death!

Also, because of my kidney I am in a lot of pain so I'm unable to do much. They wanted to keep me in hospital to give me stronger painkillers but I figured I'd rather be at home in pain than stuck in hospital with women who are in the first stages of labour! I've been prescribed 30/500mg cocodamol and told I can take 2 tablets every 4-6 hours but I am not very happy about taking such a high dosage so I have only been taking 1 tablet when I am in a lot of pain. I'm also on antibiotics & metformin.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated... I will reply but it will be off my phone as it's hurting being on the laptop :(

I found out yesterday that I have polyhydramnios. I go for my glucose test monday. I have been put on the same dose of codeine which really helps. My consultant has offered me a sweep at 39 weeks. Im also walking on crutches suffering with bad spd. Nothing was explained to me either and I ended up on google. Which puts the scares into me. It is worrying and I'm hoping my amniotic fluid level has dropped at my 36 week scan.

Try to rest as much as possible. If they want you in hospital, , despite your feelings, it's the best place for you. 38 weeks is a good time to be induced, im sure you'll be fine. :hugs:

Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat as me! Have you got a big bump too? I had a glucose tolerance test and it came back fine even though I had 6 episodes of glucose in my urine. I was asked to monitor my sugar levels at home and they kept going up and up so last week they decided to treat me as though I've got gestational diabetes. I just feel like things haven't been properly explained to me.

At my ante natal the community midwife was like "oh you have got plenty of fluid around the baby" she didn't even tell me there was a name for it or that it could lead to premature labour etc! I've not been on google since I scared myself. I've got another growth scan on Wednesday and then an appointment with the consultant straight after and then they will tell me which date I need to go in to be induced.

When is your next scan hun? x

Yes, i think im pretty big. Attatched is me at 31+5. Baby is weighing over 5lb already.

I hope tomorrow brings you good news, be sure to update. Fluid levels start to drop at 35 weeks, I hope yours has.

My next scan is in 4 weeks. I dont know how much further I can go, its so uncomfortable.

Attachments

• 20130411_191452_zps3d46fa98.jpg
    20130411_191452_zps3d46fa98.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 19
Oope, I ment wednesday not tomorrow :haha:

Hello I've got polyhydramnios too it's horrible. I developed it at about 31/32 weeks and my fluid levels have been 23cm,31cm, 34cm then yesterday it had gone down to 29cm but its obv still abnormal. I'm so uncomfy and my bump feels like it could literally split ewww. I have a detailed scan with the consultant to check baby and that there's nothing wrong with him that could be causing the increased fluid. At a routine scan yesterday though they saw his belly and saw him peeing which means he is swallowing. I'm still shitting myself about tomorrow though. Consultant said i won't go past 38 weeks and I'm not allowed to work or drive in case my waters break. Polyhydramnios is a nightmare

I found out yesterday that I have polyhydramnios. I go for my glucose test monday. I have been put on the same dose of codeine which really helps. My consultant has offered me a sweep at 39 weeks. Im also walking on crutches suffering with bad spd. Nothing was explained to me either and I ended up on google. Which puts the scares into me. It is worrying and I'm hoping my amniotic fluid level has dropped at my 36 week scan.

Try to rest as much as possible. If they want you in hospital, , despite your feelings, it's the best place for you. 38 weeks is a good time to be induced, im sure you'll be fine. :hugs:

Google has caused me so much heartache since I found out I had excess fluid it's scary reading. I'm keeping off it now. Sounds like you're having a tough time (((hugs))), I hope your fluid levels start to drop so it brings you a bit of relief x

Yes, i think im pretty big. Attatched is me at 31+5. Baby is weighing over 5lb already.

I hope tomorrow brings you good news, be sure to update. Fluid levels start to drop at 35 weeks, I hope yours has.

My next scan is in 4 weeks. I dont know how much further I can go, its so uncomfortable.

My last scan was last Tuesday when I was 35+2 and the baby's weight was predicted 6lb 2oz. I wasn't aware and haven't been told that fluid is supposed to drop at 35 weeks. I guess ill find out on Wednesday when I go for my scan.

I can't believe they are making you wait another 4 weeks for a scan. Maybe push for one sooner? Ill be sure to keep you updated and please do the same if you like :)

Hello I've got polyhydramnios too it's horrible. I developed it at about 31/32 weeks and my fluid levels have been 23cm,31cm, 34cm then yesterday it had gone down to 29cm but its obv still abnormal. I'm so uncomfy and my bump feels like it could literally split ewww. I have a detailed scan with the consultant to check baby and that there's nothing wrong with him that could be causing the increased fluid. At a routine scan yesterday though they saw his belly and saw him peeing which means he is swallowing. I'm still shitting myself about tomorrow though. Consultant said i won't go past 38 weeks and I'm not allowed to work or drive in case my waters break. Polyhydramnios is a nightmare

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a clue what my fluid levels are, it isn't in my handheld notes. What is classed as normal? I'm also really uncomfortable and it is causing me to have a lot of pain in my left kidney. My bump also feels like it could split and it is rock hard :( how many weeks are you now? I'm 36+4 and I'm so fed up. Is there a high chance your waters could break before they induce you? No one has said this to me. I have just been told to rest and not do anything until I'm induced :/

My last scan was last Tuesday when I was 35+2 and the baby's weight was predicted 6lb 2oz. I wasn't aware and haven't been told that fluid is supposed to drop at 35 weeks. I guess ill find out on Wednesday when I go for my scan.

I can't believe they are making you wait another 4 weeks for a scan. Maybe push for one sooner? Ill be sure to keep you updated and please do the same if you like :)

Unfortunately they didnt have any sooner appointments for my scan. I see midwife next week and hope there's something more she can offer. I'm struggling so much already. I'll be more than happy if they want to induce early.

Unfortunately they didnt have any sooner appointments for my scan. I see midwife next week and hope there's something more she can offer. I'm struggling so much already. I'll be more than happy if they want to induce early.

That sucks that there isn't any sooner appointments for a scan! Hopefully the next time you see your midwife your fundal height will be back to normal :) the earliest they will induce me is 38 weeks. I was so uncomfortable last week in hospital and requested to be induced there and then and they point blank refused. The longer you can make it the better for the baby's lungs as they aren't fully developed till week 37/38. Hang in there hun, not long now :)

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a clue what my fluid levels are, it isn't in my handheld notes. What is classed as normal? I'm also really uncomfortable and it is causing me to have a lot of pain in my left kidney. My bump also feels like it could split and it is rock hard :( how many weeks are you now? I'm 36+4 and I'm so fed up. Is there a high chance your waters could break before they induce you? No one has said this to me. I have just been told to rest and not do anything until I'm induced :/

normal fluid levels are under 25. Over this level there is an increased risk of premature labour because of the pressure of the fluid. I was told not to drive or work in case my waters go and baby has to be head down at this point on case the waters go and the cord goes down before the head. Luckily hes head first otherwise they would have kept me in. Ive had the detailed scan today and my bubs is measuring 91st centile for estimated weight hes 7lb 2 oz at 35+5. The doc said a normal pregnancy has a 3% chance of annormalities when baby is born but due to the extra fluid our risk is increased by 2-3%. Im quite happy with this. He needs to be checked for any blockages of the gut etc before his first feed but apart from that my doc seems to think the fluid might just be due to the fact hes big meaning hes peeing more. Im being induced at 38 weeks but thats not due to the fluid she said in view of our previous loss she will induce this time. Apparently they only induce early for poly at my hospital when it reaches 40+cm. That must be so painful.

i had this in my last pregnancy, i was tested for gd but they said as im borderline they cant put it diwn to that, they never said what else was causing it, i cant remember what my levels were (baby is 18months now lol) but they said i was to be induced dead on 38 weeks, and if the pessarys didint work they would take me to theatre and break my waters as theres a high risk of cord prolapse and strangling baby but i had it done in an induction room after five pessarys:dohh: iv just had my 13week gtt today as they say im likely to have the same issues as before xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->