Poor Feeder - any advice?

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone - my LO is 5 1/2 months and has never been a good feeder (largest volume she takes is 120ml/4oz on a good day) she is small, weighting only 9lb 6oz at 24 weeks. She is on high cal milk and typically puts on about 3oz a week (providing nothing else gets in the way -colds etc) and has just recently been put on Omeprazole for silent reflux in the hope it would help increase volumes. It worked great for a few days but now she's as bad as ever, taking about 80mls (with persuasion) and really not seeming very hungry. She could be teething as her hands are never out her mouth but apart from that she's happy (except when feeding) and healthy - no cold/temperature etc. Started solids - just 1 meal a day but it is a struggle and i'm sure she's just not ready! Anyone else's little ones just not into milk? If she would take solids i would be less worried but don't think she will sustain weight gain at this rate! Tried different teats/bottles/milk/feeding positions etc and nothing seems to be the 'answer'. I know some babies just aren't milky babies but she really needs more volumes to get bigger - help!

Is your health visitor concerned at all hun? I know Alex wouldnt take much at all for AAAAGGGEEES, we were stuck at the 4/5oz mark too. Even now shes on solids she sometimes wont take more than 3oz. However if I offer the bottle again 15 mins later she will take some more sometimes.

How many bottles a day does she have?

Do you have any follow ups at the neonatal? At this point they sometimes suggest solids now. You can sneak some milk in that way too-it counts in food!

She has 5 bottles in 24hrs (that includes a night feed). My HV isn't that great to be honest but the consultant has said she is small but on her own line heading upwards. its more the change in her - really not up for milk once she's had about 2 / 2 1/2 oz, never seems overly hungry! I have started her on solids - only once a day but she's not that interested, i dont think she's really ready but will have to keep at it!

its so frustrating eh? The thing is I never felt Alex was "ready" but its the done thing with preemies, you go by actual age, not corrected. It will all come together eventually hun xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->