Poorly And Not allowed Milk Feeds. Advice Please

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi my LO has been vomiting since 5pm yesterday. We are currently in hospital with him where we are giving him diarlyte with a syringe. They are letting us home but im not allowed too give him food or milk until teatime tomorrow. He is fed milk on demand. Im not sure how often too express? I really dont want my supply affected. He feeds a lot. Im hoping someone has some Advice. Thank you x

Hi my LO has been vomiting since 5pm yesterday. We are currently in hospital with him where we are giving him diarlyte with a syringe. They are letting us home but im not allowed too give him food or milk until teatime tomorrow. He is fed milk on demand. Im not sure how often too express? I really dont want my supply affected. He feeds a lot. Im hoping someone has some Advice. Thank you x

Have they said why? Breastmilk is an excellent rehydration fluid, AND as a biological product it contains bacteria to recolonise the gut after illness strips it.

I'd express to your comfort levels, to stop from getting engorged. Your already established and it's just a few days so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to match his feeds too closely.

They didnt say why I cant give him milk. I asked one of the nurses if I could feed him and she said absolutely not. As we were leaving another doctor said if he is really unsettled and wont settle I can feed him but be prepared for him to be sick. x

Did the nurse know you meant breastfeed? Cows milk products can extend diarrhoea symptoms because they are hard to digest in a gut that has lost a lot of its natural bacteria and enzymes. However breastmilk is designed to be easily absorbed and contains enzymes etc.

I agree he may well be sick almost straight away, but I don't see how him getting any tiny amount of extra nutrients/hydration would be a bad thing. I suppose it is up to you to decide how distressing the throwing up is versus how distressed he is when he can't feed.

It might be worth asking for clarification of why they gave the advice they did, although it's not for much longer now is it?

Whenever my LO had a vomiting bug she nursed frequently. Sometimes she threw up sometimes she didn't. I was never told not to nurse, but then again we never got as far as hospital with it.

Breastmilk is a clear liquid. If you could give pedialyte, you can breastfeed.

Breastmilk is a clear liquid. If you could give pedialyte, you can breastfeed.

Yes, when DS suffered a head injury, they said nothing but clear liquids, no milk. I asked as I had already nursed him and she said "oh breast milk is considered clear liquid it is fine".

I would perhaps call your doctor, but if clear liquids are allowed, Breastmilk is a clear liquid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->