Popular in US?

Tigerlily01

Reaction score
I'll be ttc soon, and was wondering how common the names Holly and Lynn are right now in the US?

I really prefer more uncommon names (ie. don't want anyone else in LO's class to share their name), but for some reason I like these even though they are a bit less "out there." I think OH tends to like more common names, so I'm trying these on for size.

I'm worried they may be too common, though? Not sure about Lynn, but I know Holly was pretty popular in the 70's and 80's...not sure about now. Would using a name that was common 30 years ago make the name sound "old" on a baby? US women, do you know a lot of people with these names??

For a boy I kinda like Riley, but since it's so popular for girls right now, maybe that is not a good idea?

I've not met anyone named Holly or Lynn since I moved here. So I guess in this area at least they haven't been that popular.

I only knew of one girl named Holly and she's about 30 years old. Lynn seems to be more common as a middle name, haven't really met anyone with this name as a first name except for a woman who is about 50-60years old.

Riley for a boy is pretty common for both boys and girls so if you're worried about there being more than one 'Riley' in his class, my guess would be it would be your son and one or more girls named Riley with a cutesie spelling.

im not American but I know one Holly (9 year old now) you will find that name is steadily popular because of the Christmas period and babies born in winter

dont know any children called Lynn... seems more a middle name to me, you could use Lindsey as a longer version

I know quite a few Hollys around where I live, but most are in their thirties. Only one is "younger", and I think she'll be turning twenty here soon. As for Lynn, it's fairly popular as a middle name, but can't say I know many women with that as their first name. :flower:

If you search the names on the social security website it will graph the popularity over the last 100 years.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/babynames/

If you search the names on the social security website it will graph the popularity over the last 100 years.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/babynames/

LOL Jacob and Isabella have been popular names for awhile. :winkwink: Surprised Edward isn't up there....

I agree, Lynn is more commonly known out here for a middle name, and I haven't seen it as a first name in a while. But that doesn't make it bad or anything.

And I like Holly. I think its a classic name that doesn't sound old and isn't overly popular either. But to be honest, I don't think I know any Hollys. haha

I know 3 people named Lynn, but the youngest is 19. Though I know an Adalyn who gets called Lyn.. I only know one Holly, and she is my age. (27) Lynn is more popular around here as a middle name for sure though. But I really like the name Holly, and think it goes well for any age.. The one Holly that I knew was always very happy popular girl, so that's my association of the name.

I know one of each-neither are from my home town. Holly is around 30 and Lynn is 35. So I would say that neither is common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->