Positions for delivery?

Mum2b_Claire

Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!
Reaction score
Those who have had babies before, what position did you deliver in?

I had Ruby in a standalone birth centre, delivered on a birth stool.

It was the only position I felt really comfortable pushing in. But won't have a stool this time as I'll be at home.

I was wondering what other position I could use that might be similar?

TIA :)

Waterbirth is an option. The water supports you so you can shift position easily following your body's cues. I found I was very active during my homebirths. I birthed the placenta in a standing squat. I have heard of a rope hanging form a beam or similar being great to hang off and I had a birthing staff - just a long sturdy stick that I collected form the bush and smoothed off that I could take from room to room and out to the garden and lean on during contractions.

I started pushing on the toilet in the hospital (as I thought I was still hours away from delivery) and got her bottom into the birth canal (along with her sac). Once I realized that she was coming I pulled the emergency cord and got in the hospital bed to deliver. They didn't have time to get the stirrups or anything, so I delivered by simply spreading my legs on my own. They didn't hold them up or anything.

I was reading about birthing while sitting on a ball the other day. Apparently when the head crowns you can lean back and out comes baby. Not sure about that one.

I was kneeling up to deliver Alice in the pool, although I'd spent most of my pushing on hands and knees. You might find that you have different preferences this time anyway depending on how the baby comes.

I had a home birth last march...i had a pool set up but during transition i was just flapping around in this piggin pool and honest to god i hated that pool..i launched myself out and found myself on all fours on the corner sofa, as i had spd during pregnancy i wanted to stay off my back so i tried kneeling, squatting and all fours...after almost an hour of pushing i decided enough was enough...spun round slid on my back with my right leg on the midwife's shoulder and my other leg thrust into my mums hands, i could see them smirking...2 pushes and my son was born. i wish i had not messed about with all this changing position etc it seemed so much easier once i was on my back.

X

Last time I birthed on my knees, leaning on the side of the birth pool until she crowned, then swiveled round into a sitting position with my back leant against the pool so I could catch her as her body was born! Hopefully I'll do the same this time!

My first one, they had me laying on my back with my legs in the air in hospital pushing for hours, completely ignoring me saying that I couldn't do it on my back.. eventually I insisted that I WAS going to get up and squat.. they decided that the only way I would be 'allowed' to get into a squating position was to have 2 plastic school type chairs side by side, with one bum cheek on each!!! Then another midwife wonders in and says ' you know that bed turns into a birthing chair!?! IDIOTS! lol.

Like lilacmonkey though, I have a friend who swears by doing it laying on her back!! I suppose it all depends on what position baby is in..

This page has information on birth positions.

https://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/birth-positions.html

I gave birth on all fours in the cat position. It was great.

Hi

With my first at the birth centre I birthed squatting while my DH sat on a chair behind me holding me up. An hour and 15 minutes later our DS was born.

With our second at the birth centre I birthed in a pool leant forward then once our DD1 was born I sat back to bring her out of the water. 15 minutes of pushing.

With our third at home I was leaning forward over my birth ball and DD2 was born after 3 pushes :flower:

xx

I was so tired by the time I actually got to pushing that I didn't have a clue what was going on!

I was put (at my previous wishes) on a hospital bed with the top section up vertical, so I was sort of hanging over it, on my knees. I was begging to 'not have to do it' etc as you do when you transition and then something snapped

I jumped from my knees onto my feet (so squatting but with my top half supported by the raised bed) and pushed the baby out. It felt like exactly the right position, I would definitely do that position again but I know from that experience that you body sort of puts you in the right position by itself, it's only when we are laid on beds or strapped down that our natural instincts don't take over and make us birth how we should be.

I imagine it depends how the baby is lying/ coming out... I don't think it would be something I would want to predict, perhaps just make sure you have a few options so can do what feels natural and right at the time x

I was on my knees leaning over my couch :) there was enough space between the couch and my bum for me to look down and see him being born if I wanted to (I know this cos I looked down and saw gunk come out of me as I was pushing :sick:)

Oh and I had laboured like that prior to going into the pool but really couldnt get comfy in the pool and had to get out as soon as I felt pushing urges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->