positive at home, negative at doctor ?

mommie2be

Baking Baby #2 !
Reaction score
First off, I have a REALLY irregular cycle. I took two HPTs a few days ago and they were both positive ! :happydance:
Then I go to the obgyn two days later to confirm the pregnancy and they do a urine test that comes back NEGATIVE. :growlmad:
The nurse said since I don't know exactly when my next period should come it's probably too early, I'm 99% sure that I haven't missed a period quite yet since my last one was on the 4th of March but it's so frustrating. You'd think doctors office pregnancy tests would be more sensitive than a HPT ! :growlmad:
But my question is has anyone else experienced this & did everything turn out okay ? I'm feeling a bit worried & frustrated !

My GP told me that HPT you can buy from stores are often more sensitive than the ones they have! She recommended using FRER when I spoke to her.

I was barely getting lines on ICs, even after AF was due.. I guess if the ones in the GPs office are similar, then that might explain why you got a BFN. As long as your lines are still ok, I wouldn't worry :) x

I'm surprised they didn't order a blood test? Happened to my friend and they were able to confirm by bloods

I agree with the PP on their tests not being as sensitive. I wouldn't worry if ur lines at home continue to show :flower:

Both my docs were negative as I have irregular cycles and both them negative tests are fast asleep in bed 7yr old and 1yr old xxx

Don't want to panic you but this happened to me a few years ago. Dr thought nothing of it and put it down to dilute urine but the next night I started my period. Ended up being a CP. i would ask for bloods. Hope this isn't the case for you. Fngers crossed!

You may have ovulated late and home tests are much more sensitive. My past period was March 7th and got my bfp on 31st. So its just possible you're really early also xx

I have irregular cycles and my OB ordered blood tests every 2-3 days to get my BFP.

They purposely have less sensitive tests. So many pregnancies end as chemical pregnancies they don't want tests that pick that up so their tests require more hcg to be positive.

In th uk the docs don't even do a test, if a home test says you're pregnant then you're pregnant ! We have a midwife appt around 8 weeks then a scan at 12.

This didn't happen to me, but it actually happened to one of the nurses at my clinic. She was telling me about it when I went in to get mine confirmed. She said she had 8 positive hpts but the one at the doctor's office was negative. She took all 8 of them with her to the appointment, and when the negative came back, she threw all 8 out on the counter and said "How do you explain these?!" They followed up with blood and it was positive.

Good luck, hoping something similar for you.

Don't worry, same happened to me 9 years ago.... My 8 year old is asleep in his bed xx the ones at the doc are often sitting there farr too long and go off... My doc told me that is why she doesn't keep them.

Yeah it can happen...im surprised they didnt check your bloods since you had two positive hpts even though theirs was negative. Most times drs tests arent as sensitive as the store bought ones. So the problem lies when people who get faint positives hpts then go to the dr to confirm. Not all tests will detect faint positives. Often its easier to wait an extra week and then go in. That way your hcg will have risen enough for theirs to detect it. I didnt have an issue with mine as i had a very strong line so any test would have picked it up no problem. Usually its the really early testers who run into this problem because they go in when they still have a faint bfp instead of waiting until its darker. Often people dont realise dr tests arent as sensitive and thats why they dont wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->