Possible Bullying?

MBGibbs

Reaction score
I live in the UK and ever since finding out I was pregnant, I've loved the name Bentley, and can't imagine calling my baby anything else. Ever since telling my family all they've said is how much they hate it and how he will be called Bent at school.
It's making me very sad because there are no other boys names I love..
Hunter is I suppose my second favourite..
Opinions please? Xxx

I'm in the US, and Bentley is actually pretty popular around where I live. I've never heard of anyone being made fun of for having the name, but people can get stupid nicknames from anything. I wouldn't be too fussed about it - if you & OH love it, don't listen to your family!

I love the name Bentley - and there is a little boy from the show Teen Mom with that name - so it's become kind of popular & trendy in the US.

I say go for it! :thumbup:

What? Why would they even say that? Bentley isn't even a weird name at all? And Bent? Even if someone called him Bent, it wouldn't be bullying?? It's not like the Jewish name Shlomo (where kids say Shlomo the ......... Fill in the blank). How would kids get Bent out of his name and think it has any bullying merit (I know that didn't sound quite right, but you get my drift).

I think your family is nuts. Use the name, it's really cute!!

My personal feeling about 'name bullying' is that it's not about the name, it's about the kid. By which I mean that if kids want to bully someone, they will probably find a way to make fun of his or her name even if it's Jack or Matthew.

Kids don't get bullied because of their name, they get bullied because of some other aspect of their persona*, and making up mean names is just a way of getting at them. If a super-confident 'cool' kid is called Elvis or Cyril or Shlomo, they won't get hassled about it, or if they do, it will be good-natured, or they'll just laugh it off. Same with red hair, or whatever.

*I'm not saying there's anything wrong or deserving about the kid being bullied, just that some qualities - like being quiet and shy, or anxious, or particularly smart, or non-conformist, or not traditionally 'cute' - tend to make certain kids easier targets for bullies than others.

Thanks ladies! And do we prefer Bentley over Hunter?
Xxx

I love Bentley NN Bent is fine too!

Hunter is nice too - Hunter Bentley sounds pretty nice but I prefer Bentley

im sorry but I agree with your family - bent is always the first thing to com to mind as people tend to shorten names and its the obvious shortening by his teenage years it could lead to horrible bullying especially if he does grow up to be homosexual (there where 2 boys in my school who unfortunately got bullied horrifically for being gay and there names where twisted any which way to make jokes - its fine as adult to say it wont happen but remember school is a cruel place for lots of children) also being a car feels a bit tacky and chavvy like the boys version of Mercedes or Porsche

hunter is a great name though

What? Why would they even say that? Bentley isn't even a weird name at all? And Bent? Even if someone called him Bent, it wouldn't be bullying?? It's not like the Jewish name Shlomo (where kids say Shlomo the ......... Fill in the blank). How would kids get Bent out of his name and think it has any bullying merit (I know that didn't sound quite right, but you get my drift).

In the UK "bent" is a slang and offensive term for a homosexual. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries as a few of the replies don't seem to understand why it could be used in a derogatory way. Unfortunately, and as sad as it is, I have to agree that over here it may certainly set him up for bullying as it is still an uncommon name. Having said that, some kids will find a way of bullying someone for any reason, unusual name or not and if you really love the name, go with it, American names seem to be getting more mainstream lately and I'm sure as it becomes more popular over here the potential for bullying will become less of an issue. :flower:

In the UK "bent" is a slang and offensive term for a homosexual. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries as a few of the replies don't seem to understand why it could be used in a derogatory way. Unfortunately, and as sad as it is, I have to agree that over here it may certainly set him up for bullying as it is still an uncommon name. Having said that, some kids will find a way of bullying someone for any reason, unusual name or not and if you really love the name, go with it, American names seem to be getting more mainstream lately and I'm sure as it becomes more popular over here the potential for bullying will become less of an issue. :flower:

Didn't know that part--thx!

I agree with Larkspur, kids are cruel and I expect he will be called 'bent' at some point, but I think kids find nicknames whatever the name and if they want to bully someone they will.

My friend Max is gay, Max is a completely 'normal' name, but he got called "Maxine" by homophobic bullies at school. My friend with the last name Marsh was called "Martian", I'm Helen and got "Helen Melon" which isn't remotely offensive but is fooking annoying after the 373rd time!:haha:

If they can't find any stupid twist on a name then they'll just make one up!

Use the name you love!

This exactly :)

Unfortunately in the UK 'Bent' is too easy and obvious a nickname, and is slang for homosexual. After living my whole life pre-marriage with a surname that is also slang for homosexual, I would urge anyone with the choice (unlike I had!) to not choose such a name. Kids are mean!!

I also watch Teen mom and Bentley on that show is really cute and clearly in America 'bent' is not a problem at all. He also gets called Benny which I think is so cute :)

Just my thoughts. It's always good to consider these things x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->