Possible c-section at 28 weeks for medical reasons

O

Ozzieshunni

My LO was diagnosed with a heart block last Friday and just yesterday it was upgraded to a complete heart block. There is talk of my getting steroids this upcoming Monday to help his lungs and then to have him out at 28 weeks. I'm very very scared. Has anyone's LO been delivered at 28 weeks? What can I expect? I just want to cry all the time. :cry:

Ozzieshunni :hugs: alex was 27+4 and although i didnt have a c section she done fab and only had one shot of steroids hours before birth. 28 weekers have great stats too! Do you know what neonatal / hospital you will go to for this? Theres loads of Scots on this section (i have no idea how and i've joked thetes something in our water here!!)

Your LO might need a bit of breathing assistance to start with but because of the steroids it may not be for long though. Being in neonatal can be scary but it will become part if your day to day thing.

most mummies choose to express breast milk for their preemies to start off with, whatever their intentions are later. So it might be useful to pick up a breast pump for at home.

Please try not to get too upset, you CAN do this.

Bliss.org.uk have some great factsheets on what to expect too. There's LOADS for every step of the way

https://www.bliss.org.uk/publicatio...ionTitle=Download+or+order+Bliss+publications

If you want to see pics of Alex feel free to click on my ticker for Alex on the bottom left of my signature - it will take you to her blog.

:hugs: sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.

At 28 weeks your lo may be ventilated for a short time or may go straight on to cpap which is a mask on their nose to put a bit of pressure in their lungs making it easier for them to breathe. They will be in an incubator to help their temp and may be jaundiced and need some light therapy. As the sucking reflex hasnt started yet they will be tube fed expressed breastmilk or formula. They say aim for their due date for going home.

You tend to find with the earlier babies it is a bit of a rollercoaster and some days it doesn't seem like they are doing as well as they had been because these lo's get tired.

Every baby is different so until they are born it's hard to judge what they will need.

We are all here to answer any questions.

Take care xx

:hugs: Thanks sb! He will either be at Ninewells in Dundee or if they determine it necessary, he will be in Glasgow nearer to the cardiac unit there.

I just can't believe you might be in here hunny! :hugs:
We were in Edinburgh royal but im sure theres someone one here who might be able to tell you more about Glasgow and Dundee and what it's like.

Can they give you a wee visit round the neonatal?

I am assuming if you go to Glasgow it will be yorkhill? It has an excellent reputation. It also has a Ronald McDonald house available for parents to stay in.

I know plenty of people who have given birth in ninewells as I used to live in Dundee and my oh is from there but they all had fullterm babies. I agree with sb you should ask for a tour of the unit as it will prepare you a bit as they are intense environments with lots of alarms beeping.

I'm not sure where in Glasgow. All I know is it is the center for cardiac care in Scotland. It just depends on what the doctors think is best. I will speak to the consultant on Monday and ask for a tour. Thanks for all the support. I was speaking to my mom and she and I both think that knowing as much as possible helps give you the feeling of some control over an uncontrollable situation. :hugs:

Thanks for messaging me earlier...am glad you found your way to this section hun, it is full of lovely and supportive people :hugs:

Just yell if you want to chat anymore.

Hey,

Cant really offer u much help, you cooked for 4 weeks longer then me but i just wanted to say i hope all goes well and look forward to hearing about bubs and seeing pictures xx

i cant offer any advice but would like to give you :hugs: and wish you and your LO the best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->