Possible dumb question about wraps....

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
I have various wraps - mostly PUL - including a fleece wrap.....when would I use that? :blush: I mean.....wont things get wet when he wears it?

I dont really understand how they (and woolies) work...:shrug:

I think fleece (and wool) evapourate on the surface, so it would still br dry on the outside.
When i read about fleece wraps a while ago it said they were good for summer as they were more breathable.

I uswe them over ill fitting nappies to cover leg holes, and pretty up :lol:

fleece and wool are breathable. wool has to be lanolised to make it leak proof.

typically both are used at night, but longies (trouser style wool covers)can be worn during the day instead of trousers.

not 100% sure how it works. i know the fleece can wick, but the layers in th fleece will work against each other - i'll try the explain! :dohh:

fleece used as a liner allows moisture to pass through and stops it coming back. fleece as a wrap has the fleece the other way round. you can get a piece of fleece and put a few drops of water on it. one side absorbs and allows moisture to pass through the other repels.

pul wraps are waterproof, although breathable they are synthetic whereas wool is more natural.

me either!! so my fleece liners cant just be bunged in any which way......:dohh:

Thanks!!! :)

Really? I always just put fleece in any way and it still seems to work? Hmmmm.

fleece works any which way up. Fleece does repel water, the reason it passes through liners is because of baby sitting/lying on it, its that pressure that can cause compression leaks on fleece wraps :) Once the wet has been pushed through the fleece it is absorbed into the absorbent core of the nappy, the fleece itself stays dry against babys skin. If you take a fleece liner out of a nappy the fleece is always dry to the touch both sides, it just holds that slight damp from the absorbent core away from babys bottom, the only time it wont work so well is if the entire core is saturated.
Fleece wraps are repellent but as per the above if the baby wees a lot and puts all the weight for extended periods on one area the liquid will be forced through the fleece. Fleece is fine overnight for a baby thats not a heavy wetter or for one who doesnt lie in one position all night.
Wool is made waterproof with lanolin (it has to be 100% real wool) and is basically bombproof when correctly lanolised. Perfect for heavy wetters.

Thanks Squish! I was all confused about the fleece!

On a separate note, do you think if sheep go swimming in a jaccuzi their wool shrinks on them? :rofl:

:thumbup:
Thanks Squish you managed to get it out better than i did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->