Possibly weaning due to bad weight gain - best foods to start with?

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
I had wanted to wait until Aisling was 6 months before weaning so we could go straight to BLW but unfortunately she hasn't gained well over the last few weeks and has now lost weight :( I'm thinking of starting to wean gently and then start with BLW in a few weeks.

I'm guessing that baby rice would be a good place to start and wondered which foods are good for weight gain? I can't imagine how a pureed carrot or something could help with weight gain - it'd be a very extreme diet for me! :dohh:

Hi Lu

Sorry no advice really just wanted to say im in the same boat Matthew is prem and paediatrician not happy with his weight so were weaning also. Starting with baby rice and baby fruit cereal. Depending what meal your trying pureed veg mixed with a little cheese maybe to introduce fats. Im not 100percent sure if its ok to give cheese etc at the start im sure some other girlies will help answer that as Im also hopin to introduce healthy fats etc.

Good luck, hope LO weight increases again im sure its just a minor setback :hugs: try annabel karmel website I found it GREAT for recepies and advice x

Hi bumpsmum, hope it works for you too! :hugs:

Meant to ask too, what's the best time of day to start with something like baby rice?

oohh thanks Claire might try that. Im offering Matthew breafast ie baby rice about an hour and a half after his first feed ie bottle at 7.30am, rice at 9am and so far so good, only downside is the next feed he doesn not take as much milk but I suppose it will all balance out in the end.

Lu I meant to ask what little Aisling weighed? Matthew is 27 weeks tomo and 13lb 6 :blush: but was 7 weeks prem, he's dropped a few centiles on his hospital chart as they go by lenghth and weight not just weight HV uses. Maybe Aisling is just long and trim :hugs: x

Avacado sounds like a great idea, thanks! :hugs:

Aisling is 22 weeks and 13lb 13oz. It doesn't sound so bad except she was a big 8lb 15oz when she was born! She's also gone from above the 50th centile to nearly the 9th which isn't great...

I've been giving her a bottle of expressed breast milk at about 6pm which I was trying to cut out as I can't pump enough for it so I was thinking of doing baby rice at about 5.30pm then a final milk feed before she goes to sleep at 7pm, hoping that's ok!

sounds good to me. Remember tho that BF babies gain weight a bit slower than FF ones, te medical profession dont seem to take this into consideration when using those out of daye weight charts. She'll come on a treat once shes weaned, dot feel pressured into combined formula feeding to bulk her up either if thats not you want to do, thats what I did and stopped BF at 10 weeks as I felt pressured to get his weight up and regret not sticking with it longer now x

We were in the same position. I started giving Chaise baby rice twice a day but he refused to have it.
So then I tried purees. Now he has pureed carrot, swede and sweet potato for dinner and pureed banana, kiwi and nectarine for lunch. He has cut down on the amount of milk he drinks by a long way, and is sleeping a lot longer at night.
When we first started, his poo was a bit runny, funny colour and he went a lot more often, but it settled down within a few days.

Good luck and I hope it works for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->