Postpartum hair loss

F

Fortune Cooki

How bad was your postpartum hair loss? I've been growing my hair out for awhile and love how thick it is during pregnancy. I have genetically thin hair as it is though, and if any of what I have now will fall out en masse at the current length, it's just going to look too stringy. How bad was your hair loss? Were you able to have long hair past the shoulders? Did you take any vitamins/supplements that seemed to help?

My hair fell out ALOT after I had my daughter I thought it was never going to stop! But it did slow down. I would have a clump of hair in my hand when showering. I didnt have like bald spots or anything but it definitely thinned out

I have quite thick, long hair anyway but when I was pregnant it was unmanageably thick. It was too much. When I had LO, all the extra hair fell out in clumps when I put my fingers through or had a shower or brushed my hair. Now ive got all these short bits at the front where theres new re growth.

Mine has been falling out the past month and there is an awful lot coming out. Iv started retaking folic acid as that's supposed to be good for hair growth

I kept my hair long! it went a bit thinner, but surprisingly not as thin as i had imagined with the amount of hair falling out!

The hardest part is it growing back! you get a little 'mummy fringe', so will probably need a haircut to cover the regrowth!

I lost loads but my hair never looked any thinner.
It stopped around 7 months

I have it TERRIBLE. My first was pretty bad but my second was horrible! I have naturally thin hair and during pregnancy it got super thick...I started losing hair at 6 weeks pp and it hasn't stopped. I'm actually balding in the area between my temples and ear. Thankfully I can still hide it though. When the hair starts coming back, I know I will probably need a pixie cut.

But I have a history since I was little of severe hair loss so that might be the issue.

I plan on continuing to take my prenatal vitamins. There is some biotin in there, but in the past, taking biotin hasn't really made too much of a difference. I just really don't want to have to cut my hair short. I've been so eager to grow it out to see how long it gets.

I have thick hair to start and it only got a little thicker during pregnancy. Yes, it came out in clumps all the time! It was crazy. It has just started to die down now and I am 6 months PP. It still grows though. No trouble with it growing back.

Allow me to "shed" some light....basically..our hair has phases..growth phases and loss phases....If you get pregnant in a growth phase...you get stuck there.....hence why you have such gorgeous hair during pregnancy. If you get pregnant in the loss phase...you get stuck there...and some women complain of bald patches during pregnancy. Regardless of which phase you get stuck in...once you have the baby, your body basically then trys to even things out....so you either go bald or your hair grows back..hahaha....I had awesome hair while pregnant and after my daughter I had clumps so big when I was showering I could actuallly feel them running down my back....it SUCKED...I had a few bald patches at the front and couldnt even tie my hair back in a pony tail....even though it's awful...DON'T fret...everything goes back to normal and you will have the usual hair you had before in no time! ;)

I just started to notice hair loss in the shower. I'm 10weeks pp.

How long did the hair loss last for those of you further out? Did you lose it over several months or very quickly?

hobbnob,

I lost it over several months. It started easing up about a week ago and I am 6 months PP.

hobbnob,

I lost it over several months. It started easing up about a week ago and I am 6 months PP.

Thanks Leikela! Did you have bald spots or was it just a constant shed? Mine so far seems to be just shedding without any chunks lost or bald spots, but I am worried about that. My shedding has picked up in the past few days.

My hair began falling out about 2mo pp and is still falling out. I can feel the picky regrowth coming when I touch my scalp though. I think it has slowed up just a little now at 5mo pp. Hopefully it'll stop for good soon as my hair is kind of on the thin side now. I thought I'd mention that the same thing happened to me after I stopped taking the pill to ttc. It was super annoying but my guess is it'll stop soon. Good luck!

I'm just starting to lose mine and I'm 5 months pp.

hobbnob,

Thanks Leikela! Did you have bald spots or was it just a constant shed? Mine so far seems to be just shedding without any chunks lost or bald spots, but I am worried about that. My shedding has picked up in the past few days.

You're welcome hobbnob! I never got any bald spots, thank God! :) It was just a constant shed. When I would brush my hair, it would fall out and it would come out in clumps in the shower. I have thick hair to begin with though. It is starting to grow back now though and I have grays. Ack! LOL

I'm losing lots of hair too :cry: I have fine, thin hair and need every strand I have! The only time I ever got complimented on my hair was during pregnancy and straight afterwards and now I'm walking around and hair strands are dropping off my head as I walk :dohh: I've just bought some Pregnacare New Mum multivitamins that have Biotin in as that's a special formula that is supposed to help with skin and hair health so I'm hoping it works.

You probably won't have to cut it short. When I had my babies, my hair was down to my thighs. It got a lot thicker during pregnancy, and hardly shed AT ALL. At about 3.5 months pp, it started to shed quite a bit, and I've developed two really thin spots at my hairline on either side of my forehead. The ends started to get a little stringy, so I had several inches cut off. Now it's mid-butt length, the shedding is slowing down, and it's even starting to grow back in the thin spots.

K, I'll have to stay strong and not get 'tempted' to cut it too short due to temporary stringyness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->