• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Postpartum Hospital Stay (US)

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
So this is something that I've started thinking about a lot. When I had my oldest child, I had to stay in the hospital for 2 days after he was born. With my second, they were going to allow me to go home after 1 day, but because DD was jaundice, they recommended we stay for an extra day and I agreed. With DD2, we only had to stay for 1 day and were able to go home.

I absolutely hate being in the hospital. I'm comfortable delivering there because all the doctors and nurses and medical equipment make me feel less anxious, but afterwards, I just want to go home. When I have this baby, as long as everything goes well and there are no surprises or complications, I would like to be able to go home as soon as possible.

Does anyone know what the "rules" are in the US about postpartum hospital stays? Have things changed a lot in the last 4 years?

I was in the hospital for 4 nights. 1st night was my induction and then I was required to stay for 3 nights total after baby was born. My friends who had babies via c-section had to stay 4 nights after baby.

I was in from Tuesday morning until Thursday evening with my first. She was a Csection premie with jaundice. So they kept us longer than they usually would have.

With my second, I delivered late Tuesday night (1020pm) and left around lunch time Thursday morning. I was able to be discharged after just 24 hours, but with his delivery being so late, they wouldnt discharge me until morning.

I totally agree with you though. Once baby is out I want to go home. I HATE being in the hospital. Its uncomfortable. Its boring. INCREDIBLY boring. I just want to go home and be with my family. Im hoping this time around I'll be discharged after 24 hours.

We had a straight forward birth at line 1am. We were in for a little over 24 hours. My Dr Knew I needed to get home lol I hate hospitals

I had my LO at 6.30pm and was home around 9am the next morning. I asked to leave straight after birthday as I was induced due to GD they wanted to do a couple of sugar level tests on baby before discharge. Hubby doesn't drive and I didn't want to wait for family so called a taxi and made my own way home. I really don't like being in hospital :D

2005 c-sect- 5 days
2006 c-sect- 5 days
2007 VBA2C- 1 day

:thumbup:

I was in for five days. I had an emergency c-section.

I think it varies from state to state, and can also depend on your health insurance regulations. In my case, if I left within 24 hours of birth, I would have had to officially sign out Against Medical Advice and the insurance company could have refused to pay claims resulting from a re-admission. I delivered my son in 2014 via a routine unmedicated vaginal birth at 11 am on a Sunday; since we were both doing well, and he maintained just enough of his birth weight, we were able to be discharged without a fuss the following afternoon. Legally, the hospital can't force YOU to stay (it's not a jail), but they can involve Child Protective Services if they feel it is unsafe for baby to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->