Potentially 'dangerous' Maclaren pram banned in US but still on sale in UK...

kit603

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Just came across this article on MSN news and thought i'd see what you guys think.

"Banned buggy still on sale in the UK" article at MSN News
Q&A: Maclaren pushchair recall and British customers at The Guardian Website

According to the article, certain puschairs by Mclaren have been recalled in the US after 12 children had their fingertips cut off because they became trapped in the hinges. However, they are not recalling the pram in the UK as they're stating that if the instructions are followed correctly then this should not happen...

Any thoughts?

I saw it on GMTV this morning and TBH I dont see it as that big an issue. It can only happen when the buggy is being folded so I dont see why your childs finger would be there in the first place. Im not saying it cannot happen, it is just rare x

I saw it on GMTV this morning and TBH I dont see it as that big an issue. It can only happen when the buggy is being folded so I dont see why your childs finger would be there in the first place. Im not saying it cannot happen, it is just rare x

When I first saw it, I thought the same thing but then after realising that a dozen children have already had their finger amputated and 3 more were injured i'm not so sure... :dohh:

The thing I find really worrying is that the US buyers are being provided with covers to go over the hinges yet the UK buyers are not AND we can't even opt to pay for those. Just wonder why they're making covers in the first place if they're not dangerous. If you know what I mean? :shrug:

totally off topic lol.
i used to love my maclaren ive only had it a few months n really want to throw it in the bin, the bit at the sides where u lay the pram down r very tempermental, wen i go to sit caden bk up it wont n really annoys me, am in the process ov lookin for a new stroller.

totally off topic lol.
i used to love my maclaren ive only had it a few months n really want to throw it in the bin, the bit at the sides where u lay the pram down r very tempermental, wen i go to sit caden bk up it wont n really annoys me, am in the process ov lookin for a new stroller.

It does make me stop and think to be honest... i've heard so many negative things about Maclaren in the last couple of months whereas I used to consider them to be one of the best pushchair brands out there. :nope: When I finally get my BFP I think choosing one will be very hard!!

I have the techno xt and i'm not worried in the slightest. Almost all umbrella buggies use the same mechanism as maclaren so to worry about maclaren, you have to worry about them all.
It is not a recall in the UK sense as recall in the US covers modifications and the issuing of extra parts which is what is happening in this instance. It appears that maclaren are issuing hinge covers to prevent any future law suits from preventable injuries.
Also while any injury to a small child is disturbing, it is 12 out of 1 million sold in the US.....it would be interesting to see the same stats on finger injuries in doors/windows/anything else with a hinge.
The injuries also only happen when the buggy is being unfolded/folded so as long as you follow the instructions which tell you to keep fingers and kids clear while doing so, you should be ok.

:hug:

totally off topic lol.

It does make me stop and think to be honest... i've heard so many negative things about Maclaren in the last couple of months whereas I used to consider them to be one of the best pushchair brands out there. :nope: When I finally get my BFP I think choosing one will be very hard!!

id recommened mamas and papas, ive had the aria which was my daughters and now also usin for my son and i have the prammette which also still being used as he looks all snuggly in it (and will be saved for number 3). think i will be having another from there they r soo well made.

id recommened mamas and papas, ive had the aria which was my daughters and now also usin for my son and i have the prammette which also still being used as he looks all snuggly in it (and will be saved for number 3). think i will be having another from there they r soo well made.

Thanks hun :) I'm not pregnant yet (unfortunately! lol) but i've been doing a lot of shopping with my cousin who is due boxing day and I went to look at a couple of prams with her so it caught my eye when I saw this article as she was actually looking at a Maclaren at the time.

She has actually just bought a mamas and papas travel system but i'm not too sure which one as she went back and picked it with her parents after we went to look at them together.

Lol, i have read the comments under the article calling americans stupid for folding the pushchair with their child in it!! its pretty obvious you keep your child away from it when you're folding it. Most of the time in supermarket car parks etc when you are folding it the child is already strapped in the car.

I got given a maclaren 4 seasons as a gift but i'm selling it brand new cause I want a backward facer for when babys only tiny! if i was given it when she was bigger there would be no doubt in my mind to keep it!

I think its a brilliant pushchair and i had no problems collapsing and unfolding and its gorgeous too! :)

I don't get why there is such media hype about it to be honest :\ ! like people have said, who the feck goes around unfolding/folding a buggy with a childs fingers in the hinge or anywhere near the buggy?!! some people have no common sense!

This could happen with any pushchair and i think its unfair to target maclaren as its not like its the pushchairs that are dangerous! you wouldnt let your child go/play near any folding/snapping mechanism so why just assume that a pushchair is okay? Its like letting a child play with nappy pins!! They are made for children but it doesn't mean that they can't be hurt by them! :dohh: read the instructions and precautions before being so quick to complain americans!!!!

xX

I have just ordered the maclaren quest as my silver cross pop was absolutely and snapped at the rivets after just 6 mths use!! I am not worried about it at all, all umberella buggues fold pretty much the same and tbh my son is usually in the car waiting to be got out or have just put him in the car when I am folding/unfolding the stroller. Maclaren in the uk are now issuing the hinge covers too, so you can order them online if you are too worried. When I told my sis I had ordered the maclaren she was like 'oh no, not one of the dangerous ones though??' lmao, bless her, she dotes on wee man and doesnt want him hurt.

I have just ordered the maclaren quest as my silver cross pop was absolutely and snapped at the rivets after just 6 mths use!! I am not worried about it at all, all umberella buggues fold pretty much the same and tbh my son is usually in the car waiting to be got out or have just put him in the car when I am folding/unfolding the stroller. Maclaren in the uk are now issuing the hinge covers too, so you can order them online if you are too worried. When I told my sis I had ordered the maclaren she was like 'oh no, not one of the dangerous ones though??' lmao, bless her, she dotes on wee man and doesnt want him hurt.

So it was not just my silvercross pop that broke after 5 months!! I have a techno xt so much better than the pop I've got some hinge covers but aint used them yet mainly ordered them so I have them in future if I sell it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->