Potentially silly question

tinytabby

New mum
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a water birth at home. I've got a nice deep bathtub, so could potentially use that, particularly to labour in, but was thinking of getting a proper pool.

The thing is, how do you keep the pool warm? Surely the water cools down? Is it a total pain to keep it warm?

In an inflatable pool the water loses about 1 degree an hour. Obviously it's filled with air which is insulating in itself. They also have covers or you can get a large sheet of bubble wrap from a garden centre to cover it. They keep warmth VERY well and obviously are better than a bath as its the total submersion that gives the best comfort and is safest for baby. Many mws are twitchy about women birthing in a bath as the baby mustn't come out in to the air at all during birth or,they may gasp and aspirate the water from the stimulation. Depth is important for that reason. You can hire pools with a water heater or with an inflatable one, once full and cooling, take some out and add a couple of kettles or switch the hot water hose back on. Simple really :)

Thanks Mervs Mum. Doesn't sound too bad. I'm also worried about lots of water going on the floor - does this tend to happen?

Not unless you're planning on diving in love! :rofl:

The only time I've heard of water outside of the pool is if it's leaked which is rare. In fact I've heard of it once and it was a tiny slow leak. Which was sorted with a towel and the mum gave birth in the pool still it was such a small issue. Really a practice run should have been done and wasn't. See if your local homebirth group have loan pools. We lend done out for free to members.

Many birth pools have a top that comes with it or you can buy extra. We just used a tarp folded twice over the pool. We filled it at 9 am and I got in at 10 pm and it was still hot, it had only lost 2 degrees in that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->