• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Potty training a bit late

ChiiBaby

Mummy to Geli and TTC #2
Reaction score
So as my title says im trying to potty/toilet train my daughter she is nearly 4 and she starts school at the end of aug...:dohh:
We would of liked to start training her sooner but becasue of her having open heart surgery etc, it got pushed to the side.

But now its so hard to get her to use the potty or toilet. she knows when she needs to wee/poo but she doesnt let me know and if she does let me know its to late.
She finds it funny when she wets herself like its a game. I keep telling her she wont be able to go to big school if she is still in nappies/pull ups.
We keep trying to give her "treats" if she used the toilet/potty but she doesnt care.

Also she does wear knickers but she just wets them all the time =/
I have tried everything i can think of and it just doesnt work :cry:

Any advice in what to do would be great!

Could you try taking her to the toilet every 15-30 minutes? Maybe then she will catch it at the right time and you could 'reward' her with a sticker, sweet or whatever you want?

We by-passed the potty and maybe as at school she will need to use the toilet maybe that might be easier? Some people have said to me it's like doing it twice - nappies to potty then potty to toilet.

Sorry I don't have more answers.... Good luck x

No advice I'm afraid but we're in the same boat.

My DS is really keen to use the potty but doesn't know when he needs to go. He ends up getting frustrated and then not caring whether he's wet or not.

We thought we had a breakthrough last weekend when he did 3 poos on the potty of his own accord and he told me he needed a wee after he'd already wet his pants. This weekend though he's just had accident after accident and no hits.

Adam was three when we trained him! It got to the point where if I saw him peeing I would grab him and run to the loo! I noticed he would stop mid pee then start again on the toilet! It took about three days of this when he started doing the pee pee dance I would ask if he needed the loo which took us another week before he started telling me he needed to go!

Good luck!x

Thanks, i will try taking her to the toilet more and stop using the potty all together, im just trying to get her to do it fast as the school said they wont take her if she keeps wetting herself :/ which is silly i think.

Are you in the UK? It's illegal to discriminate against children who aren't toilet trained. We are obviously trying to get DS trained before school but we have also put a plan in place with the school that they will change him if he isn't trained. We are fortunate that the school we are sending him to had a child last year who started in pull ups so they have dealt with it before.

We spoke to the bladder and bowel clinic who told us that we were doing everything right and it's not unheard of for children to be not potty trained in school and they work with kids in schools.

When she wets herself, do you get her sorted or does she do it herself? Maybe if she had to take off her wet pants and trousers, put them in the wash and put on clean ones by herself, it might make her less likely to be okay with wetting herself?
Take her every half hour (get her a special timer or something, each time it goes off, have a race to the toilet or something to make it a bit more exciting. Tell her she must try but dont worry if nothing happens. Give her a sticker for trying and maybe a small chocolate if she manages to go?

I would skip the potty.

Find a weekend when you can be at home so not far from the toilet.
Put her in pants and take her to the toilet every half hour. Carrot for doing something (chocolate button/sweetie/ sticker/ 10p) whatever will work for her.
Stick for accidents, changing herself, put dirty clothes away, help clean up.

Shouldn't take long for her to get the message.

I know someone said schools must take kids in nappies. I know a mum of incontinent child who was given the options of Special School with them changing child or Mainstream with parents having to visit school to change them.
The argument was schools do not have changing facilities and it isn't part of a teachers job etc.

I would skip the potty.

Find a weekend when you can be at home so not far from the toilet.
Put her in pants and take her to the toilet every half hour. Carrot for doing something (chocolate button/sweetie/ sticker/ 10p) whatever will work for her.
Stick for accidents, changing herself, put dirty clothes away, help clean up.

Shouldn't take long for her to get the message.

I know someone said schools must take kids in nappies. I know a mum of incontinent child who was given the options of Special School with them changing child or Mainstream with parents having to visit school to change them.
The argument was schools do not have changing facilities and it isn't part of a teachers job etc.

Is this the UK? I'm a former teacher and would have thought for a truly incontinent chilf the school would have just had to assign some kind of special support worker. We've had several severely disabled children and their needs were met in a mainstream school with specially trained workers.

Op. I'd speak to school/doctor. In your daughters circumstance it is totally understandable she's having difficulties and I would have thought the school should be more supportive.

Yes it was in the UK, Scotland. The parents we given no real choice but use special school.

Yes it was in the UK, Scotland. The parents we given no real choice but use special school.

I'm honestly astounded. Im a Scottish teacher. Were their other needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->