Potty Training my 3 year old son, encouragment please!

MelliPaige

Leo's Mommy
Reaction score
Back story, I've tried the bare bottom method before with no success. Before today he peed on the potty morning, night, and before a bath, but only pooped successfully once.

Today was day 1.
Reward is his choice of jelly bean or M&M.
Total underwear changes: 8

He started at noon because that's when he used the last diaper, he had his first accident at 2, after 3 successful attempts. We went to the store and stayed for a half hour and came home, he stayed clean and dry! Then at 4 he peed his underwear. After that he immediately peed the next 3 pairs of underwear I put on him.
He stayed dry again, then he was bribed into pooping on the potty, over the next couple of hours he pooped his underwear 3 times, but wouldn't poop anymore in the potty.

Does that sounds like a good day, for day 1?
Does anyone have encouragement for tomorrow?

I have no idea to be honest but I'm interested in this as my almost 3 year old son still wears nappies and I have no idea when the right time to start potty training is.
Did your son show signs or being ready? How did you know it was a good time to start?

I have no idea to be honest but I'm interested in this as my almost 3 year old son still wears nappies and I have no idea when the right time to start potty training is.
Did your son show signs or being ready? How did you know it was a good time to start?

Every once in a while he would say "I gotta potty!" And then run to the bathroom. We started buying pull ups because diapers were getting tight on his hips and leave marks. If it was wet he would take it off, wipe himself, put on a new one on, and take the old one to the trash. This started with a little encouragement from me while I was feeding his brother, bit qfter a while hed do it on his own. He also knew poop was different because he'd say "I need a lie down change" I figured if he could do all that he could pee in the potty lol

Day 2 isn't over yet.
He had a small accident this morning, stopped his flow and said "oh I got to potty!" And ran to finish on the potty.
The second accident he had just woke from a nap and peed a little on the potty, got up and flooded the floor.

We've been in the car most of the day and he's still stayed dry, definite improvement over yesterday!

He's been dry day and night for 3 days, but he's had a few poo accidents.

Sounds like he was definitely ready he's doing great. I found poo accidents can go on for quite a while. As long as he's mostly using the potty that's good.

My boy started holding back his poo to avoid using potty / having an accident and that was worse than the accidents. I learnt to not make too much of the accidents but make a big deal when he did succeed.

He's staying dry most of the time, but he doesn't want to sit on the potty long enough to poo. He's getting better though we might have an accident once every other day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->