Potty training - Thoughts?

B

babydust1990

This popped up on my newsfeed today and the comments were an interesting read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ol-nappies-Youngsters-old-toilet-trained.html

I personally think that the majority of children can and should be potty trained before school, but medical/cognitive issues aside there will always be the odd child who just isnt ready at 5. I don't think it makes the parent lazy, they probably have tried really hard and its just not happening.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with you, the majority should be potty trained by the time they reach school age but of course there will be the odd exception due to medical reasons etc.

I agree with you too, most children should be potty trained by 5. But it doesnt mean they wont have the odd accident. I remember when i was 5 i had an accident at school and it was sooo embarrassing.

I was at a baby expo last year and this woman was talking about porry training. She said the average age of a child being potty trained is increasing (cant remember from what to what). I think partly it is due to the parents though as potty training can be quite inconvenient. They would rather put a child in a nappy to go out for example, than risk the child having an accident and getting everything wet.

Must admit I'm not looking forward to the actual potty training. Although at the same time I can't wait for her to be able to use a toilet:haha:

I dunno, I think 24 kids not knowing how to use the toilet is a lot of kids.

Cave people managed to teach their youngsters to dig a hole and aren't we more advanced?

I would never let my child go to school in a diaper simply because I had tried hard and it just didn't happen. Poor kid would be tremendously bullied! Not by a bunch of kindergartners, probably, but those kids will grow into tweens with a killer memory of that kid in diapers back when we were 5....

There was a girl in diapers (medical reasons) when I was in kindergarten and she smelled like a retirement home. No, thanks.

So yes, from my armchair here I'll venture to say the parents of your average non-disabled child are lazy. It got hard, they gave up and boom, school kid in diapers.

My nephew has classic autism and he was potty trained by 4. Any kid who doesn't have medical issues should be potty trained by school age. It is not a teachers job.

If your child cant recognise when needing to go by that age and has any sort of bladder and bowl control there would be a problem. I didnt potty train my oldest, he never had wet himself and was out of nappies apart from peeing in them only for a long time, never wore them at night. Same as Alex now he dosnt wear a nappy at night. So there is bladder control. I waited till William was ready. He went at 3 near 4 himself to a toilet and never a potty. Just followed what we did. I will do the same on Alex but William is being great and showing Alex what to do. And I have no worries by school with Alex going.Most kids catch on themselves with guidance from parents not actual training. And parents are not lazy for making kids go when some book tells them or age bracket all kids are different.

I tend to not judge parents since I don't have any experience with raising a child...except for one friend on fb who posted pics of his 5 year old in diapers. He mentioned that they wanted to wait until their youngest was 3 so they could potty train them together :shrug: But he's also the type of parent that blames having a filthy house (and I mean filthy!!) on his kids, and never instills a routine or bedtime because he doesn't want to be the bad guy...so I do kind of think they're kind of lazy based on a number of things.

Everyone I know has potty trained their kids at 2-2.5..I don't know if there is a "right" age for it, it's just the norm here I guess.

My kids are 21, 19 and 12 now ..My first son was trained at 2.9 months. My second son watched my first so i didn't do anything, he was trained at 3 and my third son was 2.10 months.
IMO I think children should be fully rained by 3 1/2 to age 4.. JMO :flower:
over here they can't go to PreK if not full trained by 4.. And I would never judge a parent for it, it is just I think by 4 they should be trained..

I dont install a bed time either I let my children work in to their natural bed time so they went themselves when tired. Not because I didnt want to be the bad guy I didnt want hassle and it should be a stress free time. This is hard for some to understand. But same time every night like magic I get told its bed time and off they go.Same with potty training I take at own pace and they go when ready and understand which can be past 2.5 to 3 maybe. Alex is 2.5 and pretends to pee in a potty so hes getting there. I find a lot of pressure on parents to go in to time scales with on care towards a child's ability. Some parents can feel as if they failed and force kids in to things they arnt ready often making more battles for themselves and sabotaging the relationship with the child. I havnt felt like that thankfully but I do know many that do.

I'm not expert on potty training but I think you should make sure thyre not wearing nappies by school age. My first son was 2.5 and seemed quite easy if I remember.
I started potty training this week with the youngest, so far he's drank his own pee out of it and crapped in the garden, picked it up and squelched it then brought it in to show me before slapping his hands in the wall. Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->