Prams? Why? Whats the point?

tulip2002

Reaction score
Just a question obviously i know its great to have the perfect lovely pram you want and everything. But ive just been sat here thinking why on earth do we pay out hundreds of pounds for them when in few months time we all end up with buying another cheap small stroller cos they are easier! Then theres the baby bag when eventually just a carrybag underneath with few bits dumped in will do haha

If you look for the right features you won't need a light weight buggy. I will be using my M&P Sola that was DSs. He never had a umbrella fold.

It's important for newborns to lie completely flat when in a pram/pushchair. That's why most of the lightweight buggies won't do, because the don't recline to a completely flat position. A car seat on a buggy chassis also isn't a good option, for similar reasons. Babies shouldn't be in those for more than 2 hours tops.

That said, I never used a pram with my first. She hated lying in it and I found it bulky and difficult to get around with, so I just ended up carrying her everywhere in a stretchy wrap until she was nearly a year old and went in the buggy.

But there are many good options for travel systems that convert from a pram to a light-ish buggy. For my second I had a Graco Evo, which I LOVE and just now you can get the carrycot that converts it into a pram for as little as £30, do not a huge investment either. I still use it as a buggy for my 3-year-old and will use it with the carrycot for new baby as well.

Iv never bought another one (apart from a double) mine was £400 which is expensive but will have done 3 babies/toddlers.

I used mine for at least a year before we switched to an umbrella one. And we'll be using it again for the new baby. And I've only stopped using the nappy bag in the last month or so. I think they are both useful purchases that I couldn't have done without.

A small lightweight stroller really would provide the protection a newborn needs. Newborns need a completely flat laying position and very few strollers offer that. A Pram also provides protection from the elements such as sun, wind as well as keeping them warm and snug. I couldn't imagine putting a tiny newborn into an umbrella fold stroller. To me it just wouldn't feel suitable. Parent facing to me is also a must in a pushchair, and multiple studies show how beneficial it is to baby in the first 12 months to be able to see mum or dad while out and about. I bought a bugaboo for my dd which yes was expensive but I'm still using it and have never needed a lightweight stroller. I had a bugaboo with son too and I used that until he had his wheelchair at 4. So for me the money was an investment as never needed to buy multiple pushchairs. Plus I found I could sell them on once done. Prams don't have to be expensive though. While double Pram shopping we have seen some lovely single prams for around £200. Plus you could always buy a used one for less. Another option obviously is baby wearing. My daughter loved to be in her wrap but there were times when it just wasn't possible so for me I liked to have the option of a Pram available.

As for nappy/changing bags I was still using mine when my son was 6 for day trips out. Again they don't have to be expensive. I got bought a few for my daughters baby shower, and one of my favourites is a big slouchy red kite bag which is only £20 new.

I should clarify that I did use a carry cot with my Sola for the first few months. The sola is rated from birth without it but I prefered the idea of carrycot.

I went out of my way to buy one that's both, a normal stroller wouldn't do us at all...

To be honest I learnt from my mistake buying a heavy travel system the first time round, so I bought a lightweight lie back stroller the second time round, and a separate car seat (I completely refuse to use them on a stroller)

I'd never bother with an actual pram

My pram has lasted me all 3 babies. I've only bought a new one cause I need a double (15mo and newborn). It also came with a carseat which we will use for #3 as well so it's definitely had its money's worth in this house.

I still use my changing bag every time I go out. It's in place of my handbag and I fit all in for all babies lol plus my own rubbish like purse, journal etc. I have my original from 4+ years ago and bought a second last time. I'm not buying one this time so the two will have lasted me 7 years by the time I won't need one any more

:flow:

I never bought either. I used a light deluxe umbrella stroller (it laid flat and had a sun shade), and still use it today with my 3 year old. It was $100. I never used a diaper bag. I put her stuff in an oversized vera bradley tote that I had previously used to carry my books while in college.

We didn't use a stroller with our first until 8-9 months old and even then not consistently until 2-3 years old (which is recent!). We won't be buying one. We also forgo infant carrier carseats because they are a waste of money. I use a baby carrier from birth for the store or being out and then I use a high end light weight stroller later. We're planning to do the same thing this time around. No waste, no fuss.

We ordered our first kiddo and LL Bean backpack before he was born and it is still in perfect condition today. We'll do the same for this kiddo.

Sorry but I have to ask: You don't buy an infant car seat? Do you just not take baby in the car until they fit in the next stage?? Or are things different in the states? In the uk, I don't think there's an alternative to a "carrier" car seat.

I had the Cosatto Yo! for ds2. It lies completely flat and has pram liner and cosy toes. It was perfect for us as I don't use a pram for long distances.
I'll be buying the same this time round too. They aren't cheap though. £250!

Sorry but I have to ask: You don't buy an infant car seat? Do you just not take baby in the car until they fit in the next stage?? Or are things different in the states? In the uk, I don't think there's an alternative to a "carrier" car seat.

I think the car seat I got for DS (the Joie one that rear faces until 4) is actually suitable from birth. We used a stage 0 carrier for him for the first 18 months or so though.

Oh really? I had no idea! Still, wouldn't want to be without the infant carrier seat but I guess that's not a necessity then.

Infant carriers do make it easier to get a sleeping baby in and out of the car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->