Prednisolone in pregnancy

modo

WAHP
Reaction score
Has anyone used Prednisolone in pregnancy because of raised NK cells. Can you please share your experiences?

Some background:
I have been TTC baby number 3 for over a year. I conceived my 2 children easily but this wasn't the case this time round. I tried loads of strong fertility drugs and had an IVF attempt that failed. Over that year I had 4 chemicals (pregnancy test was a faint positive that would fade away) or in the case of IVF Dr told me that the embryo had likely implanted then came off. In early Jan I had bloods taken to test for elevated NK cells but I didn't know that I was pregnant. My Dr suspected I was based on my chart and prescribed me cyclogest which I started taking that night. 3 days later I found out I was pregnant. My tests started faint at 12dpo so I stopped testing for a while. Yesterday I tested and I got a very dark test line nothing like my chemicals. More like my pregnancies with my kids.

Anyway my Dr called and said the results were back and it showed elevated levels of CD69 count and cytokine.

She wanted me to take:

prednisone steroid 25mg daily
aspirin
5mg folic acid
Heparin injections daily

I have been reading about prednisone and it really scared me. My GP said that it can cause all sorts of problems for me and the baby. Diabetes, depression, psychosis and that it could cause organ and bone problems for the baby. He said I needed to do my research before I decided. So I was wondering if I could have some experiences from women who have taken it?

I'm currently taking it for asthma..1st trimester my Dr said they would avoid it unless it was unavoidable ie my asthma was so bad my sats were low. 2nd tri the risks reduce. It's just depends if the benefits outweigh the risks.. I took 30mg daily for 5 days . Is it long term or just short term?

My OB said 25mg is not a big dose. The very small chance of some unlikely side-effects, in my mind, doesn't out-weigh the chance of having a baby to keep.

Thanks, I got a second opinion from a rheumatologist. He told me that he had been treating female patients with lupus with Prednisolone to help them become and stay pregnant and had never had a patient who had been harmed by it. He said the side effects were associated with higher dosages. So I decided to take it.

I took prednisone with this pregnancy and my previous. I was on 25mg daily along with loads of other drugs. I had elevated TNF cells and something else. I had loads of side effects and I felt horrendous I was weaned down to 10mg as I couldn't cope the side effects were awful. I gained a stone in 6 weeks. My last pregnancy I came off them at 16 weeks. This time 20 weeks and I weaned slowly dropping by 2.5 mg every 4-5 days. Please wean slowly!!
Mine sounds all very negative, I hated taking them I won't lie and I struggled with the side effects, moon fade etc
My friend was able for the 25mg dose she is 24 weeks and just off them now. NOT 1 side effect,NO weight gain she looks and feels amazing. So we are all different in our reaction
I would take them again despite all my negativity above as I don't think I would have had my last baby or been this far along 37+1 with my third baby, I've had 7 previous losses.
We were trying for years.
You are at slightly higher risk of GD but they will monitor you. I put my body in the hands of the experts and had to trust them. They don't give out drugs/ steroids for the fun . Good luck.

I should have said I was also on cyclogest twice daily, 75 mg asprin. 20mg clexane injections. 5mg folic acid. I had intralipid transfusions every two weeks until 14-16 weeks as well as the steroids

I stopped the cyclogest and asprin last week

I know you posted a few weeks ago, but I take prednisone and have since 22 weeks. I took 25 MG for a month and a half and then slowly have tapered down to the 5 MG I was on before my rare complication showed up.

Background: I have RA, I needed just a little prednisone once I hit second trimester to be a functional member of society. I then developed pemphigoid gestationis, a ridiculously itchy autoimmune rash that can affect the baby too.

My baby is fine, my blood sugar was 135 on the 25 MG during my one hour test. No pre E, but my placenta is a grade 3, meaning it is deteriorating. That can be from both the steroids and my condition. My MFM told me it is safe, so I wouldn't get too nervous about it. Sometimes it is more helpful than harmful in treating certain things during pregnancy.

I've taken 20mg pred throughout 3 of my pregnancies all babies fine they have to check blood sugar levels in baby once born but I've had no issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->